Insteon Question

Steve

Ok, so I have a friend that has a very basic need and since I don't use Insteon (or ZWave) I just wanted to run this by you to see if I have it right. So - he has a light fixture that will be hardwired in the ceiling with NO wall control (was a former ceiling fan outlet). So - he wants to wire a light there and have it controlled (including dim) via a handheld remote. I'm not sure if its ELV or not. So, my thought is that he can use a 2475Das an inline dimmer module (which looks like it will work regardless if its ELV or not) and then control it with a 2444 RemoeLinc. Now I guess he needs an access point of some sort to convert the RemoteLinc RF to the module wired signal. I guess he can use an access point but it looks like he can also use a Dual Band device like a 2477D. So the RemoteLinc will transmit to the 2477D and either control it, or have the signal for the inline module routed/converted through it. Is that right? Is that the best/easiest way to control the ceiling fixture? There will be no controllers, pc, timer or anything else.

Also, he does have an aquarium pump that is controlled via a switch that he may want to add. A Dual Band relay switch (instead of the 2477D) seems like it would be ideal, to act as both the relay switch AND the access point, but they don't appear to have a Dual Band relay switch - anyone know if one is in the works? Alternatively, I don'th think this is an option, but can the 2477D be configured in a non dimming mode to where an aquarium pump can be controlled by it?

Also open to ZWave or another tech but there didn't appear to be anything better (especially if the fixture turns out to be ELV). Suggestions? Comments?

It looks as if you have a good understanding of how this would work. Your plan looks good to me, but I wanted to add a couple of additional considerations...

(which looks like it will work regardless if its ELV or not)
Are you talking about low voltage lighting here? While the web page mentions only the control of incandescent lighting, many have used these to control dimmable LV lighting and dimmable CFL. But a couple words of caution here: there is no guarantee of compatibility. Also, some fixtures with power supplies can cause interference with insteon signals. Filters are sometimes necessary.

I guess he can use an access point but it looks like he can also use a Dual Band device like a 2477D.
Yes, an access point or dual band device would work. The additional consideration here is whether your various proposed insteon devices are on different legs of your electrical system. Sometimes, insteon signals cannot travel from one leg to the other. In these cases, you may need two RF-enabled devices, with one on each leg.

A Dual Band relay switch (instead of the 2477D) seems like it would be ideal, to act as both the relay switch AND the access point, but they don't appear to have a Dual Band relay switch - anyone know if one is in the works? Alternatively, I don't think this is an option, but can the 2477D be configured in a non dimming mode to where an aquarium pump can be controlled by it?
I don't believe they have a dual-band relay switch. They generally do not announce upcoming devices. Of course, if you use this switch to directly (wired directly to load) the aquarium, it cannot be used to independently control the light. Dimming switches cannot be configured to be non-dimming. However, you could use a relay module to control your aquarium, and control the module via the dimmer switch (electronically linked).

Why not add a dimmer switch to the load, to be controlled with an IR, or RF, RC? Lutron Spacer (IR) or Maestro RF?

The RF dimmer could be located wherever the supply runs.

At this point, you can specify the light fixture he uses. But, I think Lutron has an option for MLV.

I guess he has Insteon, and wants to stay with 1 control system.

Why not add an Insteon dimmer for the lighting load?

Thanks oberk. The manual does mention compatibility with low voltage and dimmable xformers. I do understand the potential phase issues. The idea was to try to kill 2 birsds with one stone (dual band relay acting as the wireless to wireline bridge AND control of the pump). I know I can use an access point or any other dual band device, like a lamp module which I can make sure is put on the same phase, and then use a regular relay switch or appliance module on the pump.

Nrad: As stated in the post he does not have ANY equipment, no controller, nothing, He is not intending to get into HA or anything large with this. It's primarily this one application and small possibility of 1 or 2 additional devices. I already mentioned to him about installing a switch loop and he doesn't want to do that now.

I thought ZWave would be a better/easier solution since its all wireless and I don't need to deal with bridging wireless to powerline or potential phase issue but there don't appear to be ZWave inline dimmer modules.

Regarding you desire for a non-existant dual band relay to run the aquarium pump.

The dual band dimming switch or lamplinc usually works when set to .1 second for such things. I have several non-dimmable flourescent lights running on dimmer switches at .1 second ramp to 100%. After 2 years, I have had no probs. There is no guarantee that the pump will run correctly with a dimming device, but it probably will, especially a small load like that.

I would speculate that SH's ultimate plan is to have dual band everything. But who knows.

Back