Omnipro II, PCAccess, Snap-Link

Ok thank you Pete. I’ll try to do that this coming weekend. Along with working on the modem and port forwarding, because that was replaced this past July and it may not be setup.

But can you or someone else also tell me where to find out where items are programmed to be on, but not part of the automation program? I just haven’t been able to get in to things to see settings. One item in question, if you look at printout, is output #261, porch receptacle, is always on. I don’t see anything in the automation log concerning it. I can edit name, but that’s about all I’ve found.

Or am I looking at it wrong? There is no automation for every output. Automation is told which ones to control, but all the rest are controlled through PCA as if PCA is a light switch, turning things on and off when needed?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Also I see that there are buttons setup but not entirely sure how to use those buttons or access them or how to edit them. Any guidance?
Mike

Well not having much luck on trying to change somethings. Trying to take out the 4th expansion, but I can't figure it out. But I did update the firmware and tried some other things, but not much success. Help.

Mike

Yes. I did update the firmware. I'm trying to get the automation to come on at sunset and off at sunrise but haven't quite figured it out yet. It's going off the program time of 0530 and 1730. I was able to get a couple more circuits hooked back up to energy management. I've updated the automation program to add some things back in. I did work on our modem. I can now access energy management through the Leviton snap link app on my phone. Still having issues with the clock. It keeps losing time, about 2 minutes a day. Not sure what to do to correct that. Still have not been able to delete the 4th expansion out of the system. Still working on having laptop being able to access from off site but snaplink is a intermediate use. Still not sure about buttons. Still lots of questions, but trying my best to get it figured out and running.

Mike

Relating to the time issues my fix was putting a micro router between the OP2 network port and the rest of the network.

If you can use Snaplink off site then your firewall settings are fine such that PCA should also work.

I have not found where in PCA to tell it to connect to internet. When I’m on the LAN at museum it goes right in. But here at home, I only get modem and serial choices to connect, not network. So what am I missing? And what kind of micro router? How will that keep the clock accurate? And you’re talking of where the cat5 plugs into the Omni board, put router between that and rest of systems? Right now the main modem router has 4 LAN outputs, 1 goes to the main switch, 1 goes to fire board, 1 goes to ticket booth fiber optic converter, and fourth goes to museum store for the gentleman who runs the store and does work for the state from there sometimes.

I did figure out how to get my laptop to access omnipro II from home. Now it keeps going offline. I'm wondering if its the connection point. As I said the Omnipro II ethernet connection is through the switch along with most of the property. I've also practiced with programming and using buttons. So far I got it to work. Another question is with programming. How many lines can be in each block? I was trying to add to the 2 blocks, on an off command, but it kept pushing off the last line, so i split it up between 2 on an 2 of blocks. Do you know the limit in a block? And where in PCA do I tell it to update time on itsf own?
Mike

I have not found where in PCA to tell it to connect to internet.
PCA connects to your OP2 via the internet only if you have the IP and port configured to pass through the firewall.
If HairPinning is enabled on the router then you can leave that configuration as is. If not you will need to change the IP of PCA when outside of the network.

That configuration is also used for Windows, Android and or IPhone Snaplink.

So outside of location you would typically configure the Internet IP of the location and the port needed.

What is the MFG and model of your firewall at the museum. Looks like you figured it out.

The disconnects can be related to a bug in the hardware network interface of the OP2 or your ISP connection or your router.

So what am I missing? And what kind of micro router? How will that keep the clock accurate? And you’re talking of where the cat5 plugs into the Omni board, put router between that and rest of systems?
The NIC on the OP2 is too promiscuous, 10Mb 1/2 duplex and sees everything on the LAN. When the NIC gets "constipated" it messes with the serial bus on the OP2 where the times goes out of sync and you will see disconnects on serially connected devices. The micro router (any router will do) "filters" and routes the traffic.

OP2 NIC ==> firewall LAN port ==> firewall WAN port ==> network switch on the museum network.

I used a microrouter cuz it fit inside of the OP2 can.

Other folks have had good luck connecting the PCA to an old 10Mb hub or setting the port on a switch to 10 Mbs. Personally did not work for me.

Do you know the limit in a block?
No but its probably in the help file built in to PCA.

From help see:

Automation: Edit Block
This dialog box displays, while in the Automation tab, after pressing either the Edit or Add button or by double-clicking on an existing programming block.
If the block being added or edited is a comment block, you will be presented with a free format text editor. This is a simple editor that does not support special fonts or font attributes. It is very similar to the Windows Notepad application.
If the block being added or edited is a program block, you will be presented with the program block builder interface. Here you can enter triggers, conditions and actions to build program blocks. The number of and type of lines is limited by the features supported by the controller. For controllers with 3.0 or higher firmware, you can have multiple triggers, conditions and actions. For older controllers you typically can have only one trigger, one or two conditions and one action.
NOTE: For one time, timed program blocks you are limited to one trigger, one or two conditions and one action regardless of your firmware version.
When creating program blocks the "OK" button will not be enabled unless the program block is valid.

And where in PCA do I tell it to update time on its own?

It is not automatic and PCA doesn't keep time using a battery.

I am running OmniLinkBridge software which checks on the time and sets it if it is way off. You can do the same with Homeseer Omni.

With my microrouter set up I never see the time off in the OmniLinkBridge logs.

Last edited:
Hi Pete.

I'm still trying to understand the OmniLinkBridge software and Homeseer Omni. How do I get them? Are they free download or pay to get them?

On a positive note, Don that was asking about selling his system he took out did actually donate the entire system to the museum I volunteer at and putting it back together. Right now I have 16 relays hooked back up and operating fine. I'm now working on finding other wires and getting ready to put more back on energy management. I'm also trying to figure out if I can tie our WattStopper system into OmniPro and have both working together, but our WattStopper is older system and not able to connect over the network. They do have an option to upgrading those systems but the upgrade cost $2,800 each, so not sure what the museum will do. We have 5 of the WattsStoppers working on the property so trying to get them working right too.

So I'm making progress but still have lots of questions.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm still trying to understand the OmniLinkBridge software and Homeseer Omni. How do I get them? Are they free download or pay to get them?

The OmniLinkBridge software is free and works independently from Home Assistant. You can integrated with either Home Assistant or Homeseer.

It is located here: OmniLinkBridge

The Homeseer Omni software is not free and written to work with Homeseer 3 or Homeseer 4. Personally here have used Homeseer since the late 1990's/early 2000's. It was written for use with Windows. Many folks used the first version of the OmniPro Homeseer add on which was a serial connection in Homeseer 2. Homeseer today runs in Linux or Windows. I use it in Linux today.

I am using both pieces of software today on one computer. Both pieces of software will send emails or texts relating to status. Both will check the time and sync it if it is off.

Both pieces of software add Integration and viewing status and enabling the alarm. They are not a substitute for PC Access. IE: you cannot program automation lines in the OmniPro panel. You can automate with the OmniLinkBridge integration to Home Assistant and the Omni Integration to Homeseer.

Personally only access my home system via VPN using a PFSense firewall. Both Home Assistant and Homeseer have mobile clients. I use the mobile clients more to look at status than to change stuff as the automation works fine here. Back in the late 1990's I did enjoy turning things on and off remotely via the early internet using my first Palm GPRS mobile phone.

Good news on your added OmniPro equipment. With it you will be able to do better energy management, security and automation.

Hi Pete.
Thanks for information, but am I correct in thinking that since I have PCA working, I really don’t need these other software programs? Or will these programs help with keeping system time in sync till we can get IT room better temperature control?
During the week right now our network is barely used. Most use is on the weekends, but the system does lose 3-6 minutes a day. I’m wondering if part of that is temperature, and not network usage and overloading Omnipro.

Mike

Hello Mike,

The software will help manage the system. PCA just configures the system and the base automation.

The clock going off time has always been an issue. And the time going off sync will mess with the built in automation.

Leviton did release a clock sync and email board a while ago. You can probably purchase a used one today.

Easier to do this with software these days.

Ok. I was looking for an email board but didn't find one yet. I just looked at the time on my phone app and it's off by 9 minutes already. But you say the software will keep time in sync?

That's what had messed up so bad and the previous tech didn't know what was wrong and then he just disconnected everything. So keeping time in sync more often would be better than me doing it manually all the time. The next person may not be as willing as me to keep it up.

Back