Integrating telephone w/ homeautomation

hucker

Somthing I have not been able to get my hands around is the handling of the telephone in the automation system. We have a dinner time ritual of not answering the phone and I'd really like to 'enforce' this with automation... I have the following:

1) HVPro with telephone connection (CID + remote phone control capability)
2) Autodialer for alarm conditions

I don't know how to handle the following requirements:

1) I'd like to be able to do an answering machine & remote control on the same
phone line.
2) I'd like to be able to turn off the phones during dinner but still let
calls go to my answering machine. (off = no incoming or better
only incoming from a list).
3) While the phones are 'off' I want to be able to dial out.
4) I assume that the 'off' button will get to the automation system to
control what ever needs to be switched.
5) I have access to house telco inputs and room in the can for
more HW ;)

The phone stuff with the HVPro gets me remote controll and the autodialer gets me alarm messages and listen in capability. I'm at a loss as to how to control other phone line stuff. The only piece of the puzzle that I've seen is off-hook sensors... Any pointers to pages, pdfs, products that might get me closer to a solution?

Chuck

u can usually do what u want with a * number from ur telco company. I think it's Do Not Disturb or something like that. just have the automation system dial that number when its time. who do u have for phone service?

I'm running HAL Deluxe with the HAL modem here. During Do Not Disturb times, HAL picks up the call on the first ring and takes it via built-in voicemail. Other times of day, it just announces CID info but lets the call ring through to a standard cordless phone/answering machine.

Tom

hucker said:
Somthing I have not been able to get my hands around is the handling of the telephone in the automation system. We have a dinner time ritual of not answering the phone and I'd really like to 'enforce' this with automation... I have the following:

1) HVPro with telephone connection (CID + remote phone control capability)
2) Autodialer for alarm conditions

I don't know how to handle the following requirements:

1) I'd like to be able to do an answering machine & remote control on the same
phone line.
2) I'd like to be able to turn off the phones during dinner but still let
calls go to my answering machine. (off = no incoming or better
only incoming from a list).
3) While the phones are 'off' I want to be able to dial out.
4) I assume that the 'off' button will get to the automation system to
control what ever needs to be switched.
5) I have access to house telco inputs and room in the can for
more HW ;)

The phone stuff with the HVPro gets me remote controll and the autodialer gets me alarm messages and listen in capability. I'm at a loss as to how to control other phone line stuff. The only piece of the puzzle that I've seen is off-hook sensors... Any pointers to pages, pdfs, products that might get me closer to a solution?

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

We might be able to help. Most of the features you're looking for can be handled with our software (HS2 & HSPhone) plus our PCI modem or Way2Call telephone interface.

You can create a 'phone' event in our program that (during dinner) answers the phone on the first ring and speaks a customizable dinnertime message "We eating now, please call back later or leave a message"... something like that.

We also have a setting that prevents the phones from ringing until Caller ID is available.

The Way2Call (specifically) can mute the rings entirely based on Caller ID.

Lot's of options are available.

-Mark

Mark:

The features look good. I've been dragging my feet on getting a PC involved in any 'critical' functions. Have to keep WAF high on these things and messing with the phone might not be a great idea ;)

Do I read the website correctly that this solution will cost about $600?

In reading the site I'm not clear on the advantages between the Way2Call vs the PCI Voice Modem... PM me if you like

Chuck

hucker said:
http://www.sandman.com/wizard.html#RingerCut-off

would let you shut down the ringers of your phones. They even have one that you could plug into an appliance module & automate, without having to hack into the unit.

Back