Intercom Systems - Monitor Multiple Rooms (Baby Monitor)

dxp178

Newbie here building a house and coming down to the wire (excuse the pun) to have the layout completed for wiring. I've learned alot about wiring and HA on here and I'm currently looking to start procuring hardware for this great adventure. I'm stuck on an intercom system.

I'm going with an Elk M1 coupled with CQC for the security and home automation piece.

I will have whole house audio and intercom systems, but not sure on the brand yet.

INTERCOM SYSTEM QUESTION...
When we move into the house we will have 2 young children (15 months & 1 months), they will be in separate rooms and I'd like the option of being able to use the intercom system as a baby monitor. However, I've been unable to find any specifications for an intercom system which says you can listen (monitor) 2 rooms at the same time from any of the other intercom stations.

Does anyone have any information on this possible setup?

Thanks

I install both Russound ComPoint & OnQ Selective Call intercoms.

Russound ComPoint only allows the monitoring of one room from one or more locations, but I think the OnQ system might allow you to monitor more than one room at a time (but maybe not monitor mulitple rooms from one location)?

Monitoring more than one room at a time hasn't ever been a customer request, so I have to admit that I've never tried it with the OnQ intercom.

You might call or email to OnQ to inquire...

Cheers,
Paul

I have a M&S DMC 1, that installed about 18 months ago. It is pretty good, when you set a station to monitor, you can hear it at every location that is turned on.

I have installed both the Nutone IM-5000 and the M & S DMC1 and they can monitor multiple rooms from a single station and would allow you to monitor both of your children's rooms at once.

If you buy an intercom system that provides distributed audio as well (e.g. M&S), I'd skip the music component, and install a dedicated distributed audio system plus the intercoms.

An IP phone system can provide what you are looking for, plus phone capabilities, paging, etc. If you need in wall units, then Cyberdata makes an outdoor weatherproof SIP intercom for $350 or so. You can buy Polycom IP320's for like $75 each.

For the Baby Monitor, just set up an extension that joins the two baby phones into a conference and mutes the mic on the phone that you dial from. Need to walk out to your mailbox that is 1/4 mile away? Dial the baby monitor from your cellphone. If you hook the IP phone system up to the PSTN, technically you'll have a baby monitor that has a roughly 12,451 mile range. :)

I prefer Polycom phones and FreeSwitch (http://www.freeswitch.org). Although, Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) probably has a little more community support if you're doing it yourself. FreeSwitch is technologically superior though.

Why do a purpose built intercom when you can get that plus much much more with an IP phone system?

Back