Internet options? Satellite?

JimS

I currently have 6 Mpbs DSL (well, they changed it a while back and may call it uverse but it's still delivered on the POTs line).  I am too far from the head end to get more bandwidth but may be able to bump up one tier.  I am too far to get video from ATT.  Considering switching internet companies and dropping the POTS line.  Saw something  recently but don't remember where about some new Satellite service that is in preorder for something like $500 equipment charge.  Don't really need it that much but at least double speed would be nice.  I am not in the boonies but don't seem to have many options here.  Suggestions?

Found the service I had read about.  It's Starlink.  I don't need that big of pipe and hoping to spend about half that per month (about $50 vs. $99 for Starlink)

So far hearing good things about StarLink.  Towards the end of the year they are going to production versus beta and I am guessing the pricing structure will change.

T-Mobile now sells an ISP 5G service and device for home use and it is $50 per month.  I have read good and bad about the service.

A while back purchased an unlocked LTE Modem with RJ-45 (network) and RJ-11 (phone) ports for around $100 on Amazon.

I have this working now as a back up to my primary XFinity connection for a $25 per month no contract price.  It started as unlimited internet but now is capped.

I don't know where you are, but you likely have some options.  Starlink is fine but expensive, $500 just for the dish.  Cellular might be available but expensive.  Look for local wireless internet providers.  So you get a 12" to 15" dish that points at their transmitter. I have a choice at 10, 20, 40, 80Mbps for about $40 - $90/month.  I have a choice of two of these companies where I like.  The BIG DSL provider offers about 6Mbps here, which is a joke.  The cable provider offers 900Mbps fiber, but for $130/month.  I'm not a fan of that company.  There are a few other satellite provides, but I would stay clear of those. 

I am currently using T-Mobile and satisfied with the cost/speed ratio. I have DSL as a backup but may drop it as T-Mobile has been pretty reliable and only $50 per month.

We tried T-mobile cell phones very recently and the coverage at our house was horrible.  Dropped them immediately.  It's possible it might be acceptable with their receiver in the attic or under an eave but I doubt it.  And to check coverage on their site they require an address AND a Tmobile cell number so I can't even check if it's available although I am pretty sure it is.

Spectrum cable is $50/mo but only an introductory rate for 12 mo.  Didn't find their regular rate.  They might be my best option.

The only wireless provider I found (Whisper) has very bad reviews. 

Supposedly Earthlink serves this area but I am guessing it would just lease the wires from ATT so speed limits would be the same and the price looks similar.  Their web site is VERY limited - just a page of advertising with numbers to call. 

A local maker space couldn't get decent internet where they are.  The are in the city but have a big train yard on one side and a freeway on the other.  They found a tall building owner nearby that let them set up a wireless link to that building and have their internet connection there.  A bit extreme for home use I suppose but an interesting idea.  Just residential near me though...

Back