IP CAM on Television

I have 2 Ip Cameras in use in a house. I also have a 65 inch nuVision which the client would like to project her cameras on so that she can see the "river" cam, and her Grandchildren. (safetyconcern)
I am using HAI IP CAMS, HAI 5.7e, Snap Link, the NEW music Gateway... with the cameras....
Need to find a way to project on to the tv...?

I have 2 Ip Cameras in use in a house. I also have a 65 inch nuVision which the client would like to project her cameras on so that she can see the "river" cam, and her Grandchildren. (safetyconcern)
I am using HAI IP CAMS, HAI 5.7e, Snap Link, the NEW music Gateway... with the cameras....
Need to find a way to project on to the tv...?

You need a decoder.

Any suggestions on decoders? Anyone done this?

Sorry. Check out the axis website and do a search for decoder. I am currently in the process of implementing a decoder and encoder setup. I would think you would need to also modulate the signal and perhaps thrown in a matrix switcher if there are no dedicated coax runs to the viewing device. I too am new to the IP display on the tv.

in the end you may just want to get a dvr with a compatible monitor output like component or hdmi.

A network media player might do the trick.
Try a program called TVersity (free), or similar and see if it will pick up the camera. If it does, then a media player on the TV will work here. It's also usefull for playing other online media (AVI's, MPG's, and some will do internet content like YouTube directly as well).
The cameras have been on my ToDo list for a while, but it's not high priority. I use a LG Blu-Ray/Network player (It ran about $300) routinely to watch my video which is stored on one of the computers. Haven't tried yet, but with TVersity I think I can also serve outside my local network.

I use the AppleTV to display my security cams on my TV. It has a lot of other capabilities such as music, video rental, YouTube, etc. My favorite use is to look at family photos using Picasa. It is so much nicer to look at photos on the TV rather than sitting at a desk.

Steve Q

I use the AppleTV to display my security cams on my TV. It has a lot of other capabilities such as music, video rental, YouTube, etc. My favorite use is to look at family photos using Picasa. It is so much nicer to look at photos on the TV rather than sitting at a desk.

Steve Q

Hi,
Can you explain how you are viewing the cameras on the Apple TV as I have several of these Apple products.

Thanks

I have to agree with Twilo here. A DVR which supports these IP cams, and offers video out is probably your best bet if you want a clean and reliable solution. It's not going to be cheap tho.

[/quote]Hi,
Can you explain how you are viewing the cameras on the Apple TV as I have several of these Apple products.

Thanks[/quote]

I have ATVflash installed on my Apple TV, This add-on from Firecore includes a web browser called "Couch Surfer". When ATVflash is installed, just navigate to "browser" and enter the IP address of the camera. The camera image will be displayed on your TV. You can then bookmark the site.

Steve Q

i too am lookig for a feasible way to do this, but the atvflash seems like an inexpensive solution and does more than a few things. if you have multiple cameras though, i guess you would have to bookmark them all and switch on the fly, correct?

secondly, if you have just 1 camera and you bookmark it, how many steps exactly does it take before you can pull it up on the tv. im wondering this as i would like to program a macro that will do all the steps for me if possible.

thanks.

i too am lookig for a feasible way to do this, but the atvflash seems like an inexpensive solution and does more than a few things. if you have multiple cameras though, i guess you would have to bookmark them all and switch on the fly, correct?

secondly, if you have just 1 camera and you bookmark it, how many steps exactly does it take before you can pull it up on the tv. im wondering this as i would like to program a macro that will do all the steps for me if possible.

thanks.

Yes, If you have multiple cameras you could bookmark each one. There are multiple options for controlling the AppleTV. I use several different approaches depending on how I am using the AppleTV. I use the iTouch (iPhone) most of the time. The "Remote" app (free from the app store) works very well, but it does not work with the ATVflash add-ons. So I use "remoteHD" to control ATVflash. I also use Homeseer controlled via my iTouch (press one button) to turn on my Home theater system and startup the Apple TV, etc. I do this with IR commands sent from Homeseer. It works very well, but not perfect. I also have some custom web pages that I wrote to run "macros" etc. I have a Homeseer event that will bring up my porch security camera on the AppleTV whenever the front porch motion sensor is triggered. This is interesting but I don't use it because it is a pain to switch back to regular TV and my camera can't be situated to get a good look at the person at the door. Instead I use the whole house audio to say "someone is at the front door".

The AppleTV is a great device but a word of caution: The add-on apps are very buggy and don't have the quality of an Apple product. So don't expect the same user experience. If your application is in any way critcal, you should consider a system designed specifically for your intended purpose. I use the AppleTV for all kinds on things because I like to explore the possibilities and push the concept of "More for your buck".

Steve Q

Well-I have found an answer to my question.
After speaking with an Axis engineer today he pointed me to a company that recently held a demo at Axis corporate.
This box can modulate up to 4x4-so 16 cameras and then rotate to more matrix screens as required.
The unit is around $1300.-not cheap but a viable HD solution.

Check it out:

http://www.nlss.com/productsdecoder-docs.html

So the NLSS decoder sits on the network, at the TV or in the rack, and provides hdmi output?

Like an NVR, with minimal recording capabilities?

Well-I have found an answer to my question.
After speaking with an Axis engineer today he pointed me to a company that recently held a demo at Axis corporate.
This box can modulate up to 4x4-so 16 cameras and then rotate to more matrix screens as required.
The unit is around $1300.-not cheap but a viable HD solution.

Check it out:

http://www.nlss.com/productsdecoder-docs.html

that's pretty cheap. For example, Panasonic decoders are a couple thousand $$$. There are others around that same price range.

Back