IR controllable blinds on a timer??

PlanoMike

I just installed some blinds that can be controlled with an IR remote.

I would like to be able to automatically close my shades before the direct sun comes through the windows and then open them again afterwards.

I have been thinking of ways to try to do it...ranging from finding a remote control with a timer function that I could put in an inconspicuous location pointed at the shades (I once had such a remote but it is long gone, and I googled for a while and don't find anything similar) , to trying some sort of X-10 to IR gizmo.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Mike

I do this daily with my HomeSeer/Ocelot combo. My blinds open every day a sunrise and close every night at sunset.

I would definitely go the Ocelot route as well. The remote you are talking about sounds like those As seen on TV VCR programming remotes.

Some of these blinds have an optional timer/IR transmitter you install on the wall that does exactly what you want.

I think Hunter Douglas is one of the brands that has something like this...

electron said:
I would definitely go the Ocelot route as well. The remote you are talking about sounds like those As seen on TV VCR programming remotes.
How do I get the Ocelot output to the room where the drapes are? Unortunately I did not pull any wires in advance, and pulling wires to it would be a challenge.

wuench said:
Some of these blinds have an optional timer/IR transmitter you install on the wall that does exactly what you want.

I think Hunter Douglas is one of the brands that has something like this...
I asked and apparently they do not have such a transmitter for this model (althought I should check agian...the brochure led me to believe there would be a way to do it).

As Brian suggested I use Powermids bought from Automated Outlet. Martin sells them individually so you can buy the one receiver that sits near the Ocelot and place transmitters all over the house if you need to. I have 5 transmitters scattered throughout the house and the beauty is they even work through the window curtains. In most rooms I have them hidden or sitting on top of things like our China hutch in the back so you can't see them yet they still work. Some users have had problems using these though so buy them were you can try them and take them back if need be.

Back