IR Distribution

mdonovan

I want to mount a receiver, satellite box, and HTPC in an out of sight spot and use an IR distribution kit to transmit the IR to the components. Right now I would need 2 IR receivers and three emitters (1 receiver for remote, one for the media center emitter, and outputs for receiver, sat box, and media center receiver), but I want some room to expand if needed. This is just for a single room, and not computer controllable, so I don't need anything fancy. I was looking through Smarthome's kits and I think they would work, but I thought I'd ask here what anyone is using for simple, cheap IR distribution.

Matt

You will only need one IR Receiver if you want to receive IR from one place. It sounds like you have one location for everything so you will need 1 a connecting block in your cabinet. You can go a bit of distance between the block and the receiver, the longest distance I right now between the two is ~30 feet using shielded cable.

One other note, if you will have the receiver next to a plasma/lcd, get the plasma/lcd resistant receivers.

I want to mount a receiver, satellite box, and HTPC in an out of sight spot and use an IR distribution kit to transmit the IR to the components. Right now I would need 2 IR receivers and three emitters (1 receiver for remote, one for the media center emitter, and outputs for receiver, sat box, and media center receiver), but I want some room to expand if needed. This is just for a single room, and not computer controllable, so I don't need anything fancy. I was looking through Smarthome's kits and I think they would work, but I thought I'd ask here what anyone is using for simple, cheap IR distribution.

Matt

Back