IR Repeater / interceptor processor project

Ryaske

Hello!

I know you have 3-6 remotes for your HT system. So do I.
I know that you use half of the buttons on those remotes, if not- less.
I know that there are repeaters avaialble- that listen for ANY ir and repeat it right back out instantaneously.
I know that there are processors available- that listen for KNOWN ir commands, and then perform some pre-programmed logic.

What I am looking to do, which I was not able to find in extended searches on this forum and through-out the internet... is combine a repeater/processor!

I would like to cover the IR receiving ports of all my devices (completely), while keeping a mini-ir bug underneath the covering. I would like to have a program (or piece of hardware) that I can program to listen to incoming IR commands- PASS ON the ones it does not recognize, OR perform whatever logic I dictate when a known code is received (send out a completely different IR code).

What I want to do is program the channel + buttons on my plasma tv remote to actually change channels on my digital cable dvr, for example, without sending the original channel + signal to my tv. Ideally, it would allow me to use states and other inputs within the logic (so if dvr is off, let the TV chan+ button send the normal TV code instead of the DVR chan+ code)

I work for a home automation company- so getting the IR repeating parts is not a problem. I first tried the Ocelot, which was very promising as I could disconnect it frmo my computer... BUT, it will not respond to unknown codes, and I definitely have more than 256 codes I woudl be passing. Also, the ocelot is ssssssssssllllllooooooooowwwww.

So, what can I use? Is there any hardware that can be PC independant? If not, will a generic USB sender/reciver and Girder on my computer get the job done? Does anyonw know if Girder can repeat out "unlearned" codes? That is the key function I cannot find in any device!

Thank you for your help!

P.S. I have a pronto remote ... but a tsu-1000 that doesnt have arrow keys. Therefore.. I would REALLY like to use 1 or 2 hard button remotes I already have to perform the functions of all 4 remotes I have (by intercepting!)

Just buy a new remote.

Well thanks for the reply, but Id rather not take the easy way out.

Your suggestion also introduces some problem I did not yet make mention off. Take teh following scenario: my gf hits a macro button on the remote, and unknowing to her it is sending signals for the next few seconds...... but she puts it down on my bed before the macro is done.... cutting off the end of the macro. Now the states are screwed up and I look like a tool reseting everything.

I want simple 1 button commands from the remote to trigger my macros within this purposed system.

Thanks anyway

You should check out IRTrans: http://www.irtrans.de/en/
My experience is only with the USB version, but I think they have others now that are self contained (no computer needed) or communicate over standard ethernet.

I had a USB driven system set up in my old house with 3 units in various parts of the house all connected to my server. I had it set up to control distributed sound to different parts of the house: the IR remotes for all the stereos around the house could also control iTunes on my server. I am looking into doing something similar in my new house, but I have to finish the security system first.

I can personally attest to the power and sensitivity of the standard modules. I had one that was mounted inside my stereo cabinet behind tinted glass that flawlessly controlled the TV that was sitting on top of the cabinet. Also, the IRTrans support guy was always very helpful and responsive.

Alex

I do this all the time... but I'm using a HVPro. I have all sorts of unused IR that is being used for many other things (turning on/off lights, security, etc). I use the Harmony remotes which makes it very easy to program (and transparent to the wife, she sees "lights up" and has no idea that it's sending a IR code for an obscure CD changer... but the lights in that room go up)

Thanks,

I know it is possible if you program in every single key.. but I haven't found anything that will pass a command that IS NOT learned in the system. I'm trying to avoid having to learn EVERY single code that I may ever use, just so I can send it back out again. I want to program only the codes I desire actions for, while everything else just passes trough the system like an IR distrubtion system.

Ocelot can do it only if I program every code, and create a huge long rule list that does the same thing over and over. If they had the IR command number listed in the system map.. it would make it a lot easier to use. but, they didnt. and it is WAY too slow (over a second between received and sent), with only 10 ir codes and 2 lines of rules!! yes, I set the max code parameter to 10 to speed it up.

Is what I am proposing not possible with any controller?

I have started programming my pronto ........ I really hate how I have to look down at the touch screen all the time. I'd much rather make my own universal remote out of my exisiting device's remote!!!!!!!
I don't think anyone has a solution for this one.

Not an inexpensive option... but my HVPro has all the IR standard codes in it already. It only had to learn a handful of non-standard pulse codes. No need to learn all of my signals (probably learned less than 10%).

Of course I had to program what to do when it receives all my IR - but that's to be expected.

Get a Cortexa HA Controller.
Get a Global Cache GC-100.
Get a Global Cache GC-CGX.
Get a Speakercraft AT-1.
Wire all of your IR emitters to the AT-1.
Put the GC-CGX between the GC-100 and AT-1.
Create all the remotes you want to use in the Cortexa interface.
Get a Samsung Q1 to use as your remote.
Controll your whole house from one remote.

Or just buy a Logitech Harmony remote.

I am in NJ, so I know they will sell and ship to the US. If you email him your questions, I am sure he would be happy to answer, in English.

I think this item is what you would be interested in, but if you describe your situation to them perhaps they will have a better solution.

Good luck,
Alex

Thanks alex, I would call them to inquire about my application.. but I am in the US.

Do you know if that system can pass codes without having to learn them?

harmony 890, 890pro, or 1000 with extenders. she can put the remote down all she wants and the macro will finish. ir to rf not just ir. since you use the pronto you should know they have the rfx receivers also that can do this kind of stuff. no need for all of the logic programming for changing ir codes. pita IMO

also be careful on the pronto's. i have worked on the 9400 & 9600 line and they only support up to wep 128bit encryption. most people use wpa these days. you can either change to wep or use a seperate wifi network/internal a/p just for the pronto. there are some really good pronto programming companies out there if you don't want all the hassle of programming it. usually about $250 for a full custom job with excellent support if you find the right company.

try http://www.remotecentral.com/ for good info/feedback on programming the remotes and getting them to do what you want them to do.

Snapstream FireFly $50
USBUIRT $50
EventGhost $0
+
Maybe an hour of goofing with it.

If configured correctly this can cover 4 rooms or 16 of the remotes each can be identified.

I wasnt able to complete the project due to lack of the hardware/software needed.

I currently use a Xantech URC2 remote which does macros ... but it is very hard to remember which key does what. At least I can find buttons by feel in the dark .. unlike the pronto's touch screen.

harmony 890, 890pro, or 1000 with extenders. she can put the remote down all she wants and the macro will finish. ir to rf not just ir. since you use the pronto you should know they have the rfx receivers also that can do this kind of stuff. no need for all of the logic programming for changing ir codes. pita IMO

also be careful on the pronto's. i have worked on the 9400 & 9600 line and they only support up to wep 128bit encryption. most people use wpa these days. you can either change to wep or use a seperate wifi network/internal a/p just for the pronto. there are some really good pronto programming companies out there if you don't want all the hassle of programming it. usually about $250 for a full custom job with excellent support if you find the right company.

The Harmony 890 is not very configurable though .. i have used both the 890 and the 1000 , they both seem to be geared to those who are either less technical, or just want a "set it and forget it" solution. It still uses states ... and both remotes have trouble switching my Samsung Plasma's inputs .. as there is a big delay between input switching and the remote loses track of which state the TV is in. In my application the Harmony remotes are good for my parents and my girl .. but do not give ME the type of control I am looking for.

Pronto remotes take more programming .. but they are able to do everything I require (advanced custom macros). Also since I have the tsu-1000 pronto , no RF repeater will do the job.. IR is all that comes out of my remote. I will likely end up replacing this remote soon anyway ......... its getting very ancient (but still works great!)

Snapstream FireFly $50
USBUIRT $50
EventGhost $0
+
Maybe an hour of goofing with it.

This is a lead I will pursue to complete the project ... thank you very much!

If you get stumped let me know, I have EventGhost installed on every machine in my house. I also have 2 RF remotes, any x10 RF entertainmentremote can work but the FireFlys are IMO the highest quality. Much better all around then my Nvidia Cinema remote which is almost identical in operation but posses a flat paddle to use as a mouse. The 5 way directional buttons on the FireFly work equally well for this once you practice some, even though thats not too good compared to a mouse.

Really if the USBUIRT is at the TV location you can use any remote that doesn't actually control any of the gear in that room. I just REALLY prefer RF over IR when possible.

Back