Is a Elk M1XIN with no battery backup OK?

DotNetDog

Here a simplified scenario based on what I'm trying to do. I am designing my Elk M1G system. I plan to use occupancy sensors to automate lighting control in my house. Occupancy sensors require power (12V or 24V depending on brands). So let's say that I have a dozen occupancy sensors and that I will attach them to an M1XIN. For power I will use a power supply, such as the ELK P624.

Since occupancy sensors will be used for lighting control then I figure what's the point of battery backup. After all, if the lights won't work I hardly see the need to power the occupancy sensors. So I can save a few bucks and not buy a battery.

So, we have a dozen occupancy sensors attached to an M1XIN, powered by a P624 and no battery backup. Go so far?

Of course, I will use ELK rules that will turn lights on and off based on the occupancy sensors. Still good?

What happens when the power goes out? The M1G will be on battery backup but not the occupancy sensors attached to the M1XIN. Does the M1G rules engine safely handle the suddenly missing input sensors? When a rule runs that refers to input ID #22 (as an example) and that input no longer exists to the M1G due to a power outage, will the rules engine just ignore it?

Is there any reason to just go ahead and add the battery backup?

Here a simplified scenario based on what I'm trying to do. I am designing my Elk M1G system. I plan to use occupancy sensors to automate lighting control in my house. Occupancy sensors require power (12V or 24V depending on brands). So let's say that I have a dozen occupancy sensors and that I will attach them to an M1XIN. For power I will use a power supply, such as the ELK P624.

Since occupancy sensors will be used for lighting control then I figure what's the point of battery backup. After all, if the lights won't work I hardly see the need to power the occupancy sensors. So I can save a few bucks and not buy a battery.

So, we have a dozen occupancy sensors attached to an M1XIN, powered by a P624 and no battery backup. Go so far?

Of course, I will use ELK rules that will turn lights on and off based on the occupancy sensors. Still good?

What happens when the power goes out? The M1G will be on battery backup but not the occupancy sensors attached to the M1XIN. Does the M1G rules engine safely handle the suddenly missing input sensors? When a rule runs that refers to input ID #22 (as an example) and that input no longer exists to the M1G due to a power outage, will the rules engine just ignore it?

Is there any reason to just go ahead and add the battery backup?

If they are defined as a Zone type 16 then this should not be a problem. If they are defined as a security type zone they would be violated once power fails and could cause a false alarm if the system is armed.

Just make sure the XIN is powered with battery backup or you will get a missing module trouble.

Back