Is this aviable?

mustangcoupe

First off let me say I know this isn't the smartest thing to do on a day to day occasion....

We have a party to go to tonight (3 houses down the road) and it got me thinking....

my wife has cats that like to sit in the open window. but we don't want to bypass the zone connected to the window is there a "extension" or is there a way to make an extension to allow the zone to be armed and leave it open 6 or so inches.... I was thinking of a contact at the top using existing window magnet with a small electromagnetic powered off battery(in the same enclosure/fixture) over the existing window contact at the bottom if the window is opened more then the set amount the top contact is opened which turns off the magnetic field at the bottom and trips the zone.....

hmmmm.....

any thoughts? remember I am only using this while still in the neighborhood...

I think you can simply wire in a second contact. about 6" above the original contact. You'll need to mark the frame in some way so you know exactly when the window is on the "alternative" magnet. Then the window will work the exact same way even when open 6" on the alternative magnet. If the window is open on close at all (ie gets moved off the magnet) then the alarm will sound.

I think there is an example of this in the wiring guide - but it is describing an alternative opening setting on a sliding door. But it is the same concept.

I don't quite follow your description. If the contact on the window frame is not at the very bottom of the window, you could simply add a second magnet about 6 inches from the first magnet. The sensor doesn't care WHICH magnet it sees, as long as one of them stays close enough to close the switch.

Todd:

Could you post a picture of the window?

Here is a picture of the window... problem with the 2nd contact is that the 1st one is in the bottom of the window, not in the side. when I was installing I figured it would be easier in a re-mod then fishing the wire left or right and then down....

Attachments

• IMAGE_00013.jpg
    IMAGE_00013.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 58
You could go to your local dollar store and buy one of those little screamer alarm contact units- they are battery operated.

Set your window at the height you want(open) and then turn it on when you need it.

Not high tech but should work.

Neil

Do you have any metal fabrication skills?

You could just build a frame that used both the lock from the window frame at the bottom and the sash at the top. This wouldn't be difficult to build at all and would both keep the sensor happy and prevent the window from being easily opened further.

As a bonus totally removable when not desired.

Do you have any metal fabrication skills?

You could just build a frame that used both the lock from the window frame at the bottom and the sash at the top. This wouldn't be difficult to build at all and would both keep the sensor happy and prevent the window from being easily opened further.

As a bonus totally removable when not desired.

I can build and weld(a little) but I am lost with your train of thought... maybe a drawing or more detailed explanation would help

Use a wired screen. They are around $50 per window but well worth it if you leave windows open alot. You can open window to any position at any time and the opening is still protected.

I was hoping to see what type of magnetic contact you had presently, where it was installed and the travel direction of the window.

A pic something like THIS or THIS.

I was hoping to see what type of magnetic contact you had presently, where it was installed and the travel direction of the window.

A pic something like THIS or THIS.
This is very simple. Use a wireless NX454 and have the device stuck to the right side in the middle of the window. The magnets are stationary (transmitter is stuck on the moving window). If you open the window 6-8 inches (to ensure a difficult intruder tamper reach), you can silicone a magnet (coat it with white-out) to that location to match up with the transmitter and you'll have protection for a FULLY CLOSED window, and a Particially open window during the summer. Does this help you?

-=*Sharby*=-

mustangcoupe-

I just installed two magnets in window. 1 for closed, 1 for open 6 inches. I can either bring the bottom sash up, or the top down. It work really well. I set the Elk to chime, and I can hear the chime when the window is at the correct position.

Just my .02

Steve

thanks everyone, The window is a up/down travel type, and the contact is centered in the bottom of the window(not on the side) I was thinking of adding wireless due to a few hard to wire windows so this may be the option, change it to the same as above (2 magnets ect...) And Steve the chime is a Great idea for getting it lined up.

I guess you also want to make sure your top sash either doesn't have a sensor, or it is hard to move. If I wired both sashes in my house, at some point the top sash would fall down with the window open and cause a false alarm :)

Just something to think about.

Back