Is this possible?

lurlette

I have a play5 and connect amp ( sonos) around my house always playing radio or music, my M1 speaker isn't loud enough sometimes, because of where it is, so is it possible for me to get my M1 to announce over my Sonos system? Like if the Patio door open is to be announced, it will mute what ever is playing and announce then resume play.Thanks in advance.

I actually go the opposite way and use an M1TWA to put amplified CQC announcements on my Elk system ("you've got mail") , but a quick search found this was mentioned in an earlier thread.  

I have a rarely used older Sonos (so I'm not familiar with play5), and seems to me there is an input you could use if you can figure out a way to tell Sonos to change inputs and use the aux input. 

Hi Turbosam, good find, I did a search but did not come across that,the Play 5 is the latest sonos speaker and it does have a line in put, but I was hoping to be able to set a rule in elk, that would accomplish this over my network, seeing that they are all of the same network, similar to how it works when I put on a master bedroom switch the sonos starts to play morning music.thanks

I know CQC has a Sonos driver, but I don't use it or know if it can control the input.  You might want to take a look at it.

As for other options (and I'm spit-balling here), could you use a a couple of NC relays on the main inputs to the Sonos that cut off the main input in favor of the Elk when triggered by whatever rules or events you want the Elk to input?  I don't do much in the audio arena, but there may even be devices out there that can be triggered to do exactly that.

You can switch to the analog input via driver control, and some folks do use it in this way, to spit out TTS output, then switch back.

Back