J-Box Speakers

sionxct

For speakers that mount in a j-box, such as:

Elk SP12F
Russound ISSP
RDL SP1A

If these are mounted in a 2+ gang j-box, is there sufficent room to install other low-voltage devices in the gangs beside it?  Somfy dry contact switches, for example. Russound ISSP is obviously designed to mount beside a Russound keypad. RDL looks like it would fit well with a decora style cover also. The cover for the Elk looks like an issue.

sionxct said:
For speakers that mount in a j-box, such as:

Elk SP12F
Russound ISSP
RDL SP1A

If these are mounted in a 2+ gang j-box, is there sufficent room to install other low-voltage devices in the gangs beside it?  Somfy dry contact switches, for example. Russound ISSP is obviously designed to mount beside a Russound keypad. RDL looks like it would fit well with a decora style cover also. The cover for the Elk looks like an issue.

You're right. I didn't look up the others, but the speaker of the SP12F is mounted to a standard [vented] gang cover/plate; it is not really adaptable for anything other than the single gang. 

While I do know people who have installed them in single-gang boxes, I have not [personally] installed these with gang boxes at all, but rather have removed the provided speaker and mounted them behind Elk keypads. 

I'm not really a fan of audio coming out at switch height...even KP height. Think about where the sound is in the even of an alarm. Personally I think there's better options.

Do you really want your audibles in the same general vicinity where people are going to be pressing buttons, switches, etc?

Where would you put the speaker?

I was thinking about using a Russound intercom with the bypass relay,  sending announcements from Elk through a distribution amp to an impedance matching volume control to the keypad then out of the keypad an ISSP or similar speaker. Basically, wiring the Elk announcements like a simple whole house audio system. I don't intend on the announcements being loud. I'll have a seperate siren.

Fallback* is to seperate the intercom from the Elk speaker, but still wire the Elk thru a distribution amp, volume control and j-box speaker. Another user posted that he did this with good results, but not clear what speakers he used and having trouble find the post right now.

*No local Russound dealers to buy from. Also, don't see a solution for patio intercoms by Russound.

I would start with something simple and get used to the system before you go too deep.   As a long time user I have to say the Elk announcements mostly get annoying after the newness wears off.   Most of mine have been disabled.   They are fixed, not very informative, and not very configurable. 

wuench said:
I would start with something simple and get used to the system before you go too deep.   As a long time user I have to say the Elk announcements mostly get annoying after the newness wears off.   Most of mine have been disabled.   They are fixed, not very informative, and not very configurable. 

Overall, I agree. However, the OP is not only planning to use them for Elk announcements but also leveraging the speakers for intercom purposes as well. And if the speakers are already there.... 

The one problem I see with that is there's going to need to be some sort of distribution amp. and realistically, if those speakers are being used for alarm purposes, I'd have a problem with non-UL at that point.

If there's a TWA to split the audio, sure, but then that's going to require a bunch of rules for direction of the audio signal.

Note: Emphasis mine. 

DELInstallations said:
The one problem I see with that is there's going to need to be some sort of distribution amp. and realistically, if those speakers are being used for alarm purposes, I'd have a problem with non-UL at that point.

If there's a TWA to split the audio, sure, but then that's going to require a bunch of rules for direction of the audio signal.

I thought those were already addressed... no?

sionxct said:
Where would you put the speaker?

I was thinking about using a Russound intercom with the bypass relay,  sending announcements from Elk through a distribution amp to an impedance matching volume control to the keypad then out of the keypad an ISSP or similar speaker. Basically, wiring the Elk announcements like a simple whole house audio system. I don't intend on the announcements being loud. I'll have a separate siren.

Fallback* is to separate the intercom from the Elk speaker, but still wire the Elk thru a distribution amp, volume control and j-box speaker. Another user posted that he did this with good results, but not clear what speakers he used and having trouble find the post right now.

Sure, the speakers would still be non-UL, but the separate siren should mitigate that right?

OP hasn't stated their plan, so I can't comment what they were planning to use for alarm annunication.

If there's fire alarm or life safety involved, I would say a single siren installed would be a very grey area. Smokes would require integral sounders at that point and if there's CO, the AHJ might not allow it.

Back