Keeping Deer and Elk out of Garden

flyguy

Wondering what you guys may have tried and found out about keeping deer and elk out of your gardens short of an 8' high fence or electric fence. Oh, and the neighours will not appreciate gunfire either!

Would using an ELK panel to keep them out be just to wierd or what?

Seriously I think Smarthome sells some sprinkler type products that sense motion and might work. They are made to keep cats etc out of a garden and I amnot sure if they would be enough to scare off a larger animal but you might want to look.

Digger said:
Hey, how about using a "MOOSE" siren instead? I bought these from Worthingtons and I can't stand to be in my garage when it goes off (piercing noise feels like someones driving a nail into your head).

From my Worthington's invoice:

Item Number: MPMPI-47B
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $10.88
Description: MOOSE BRACKET MOUNT PIEZO SIREN

I know I know..... put up a Scarecrow that looks like an HAI Panel???????

If Spanky sees that he will laugh I am sure.

Oh cmon guys, you know you have to use an Ocelot here ;) If you get a working solution, let us know, stupid deer killed my new peach tree this winter, eventho I had it fenced in.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Digger said:
Hey, how about using a "MOOSE" siren instead? I bought these from Worthingtons and I can't stand to be in my garage when it goes off (piercing noise feels like someones driving a nail into your head).

From my Worthington's invoice:

Item Number: MPMPI-47B
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $10.88
Description: MOOSE BRACKET MOUNT PIEZO SIREN
BTW;

Use a "pull tab" sensor to activate the siren and have that attached to a string around your garden. You will not have to worry about motion sensor false alarms this way.

I will be showing some on my ISC 2006 Security Expo reviews here shortly.

How about a big dog, although make sure all you windows and doors are tempered glass. Chasing the deer out of the back yard is one of our dogs favorite activities. It wasn't so great when he smashed through a glass door trying to get to them, though! Bad dog!

If the Ocelot isn't big enough, then a full size Leopard will surely work!

Poor flyguy, you don't know what you got yourself into by just mentioning "elk".

A bow and arrow would do the trick, and no noise. :)

Supposedly there are some scents that you put on the plants that drive the deer away. I can't vouch for the effectiveness, and you would have to reapply it every couple of months.

My parents used to live next to some park land that had lots of deer. To keep the deer out of their beds, they used to put chopped up USED panty hose in the beds. The deer don't like the human scent.

Back