Keypad Light Level

rfdesq

I, and others, have tried to get a response from ELK on the dealer site regarding controlling keypad light levels but have received no response since last November. This is what I would like to accomplish. I would like a dimmed out backlit keypad to come to life upon entry delay or an alarm condition. This is for a master bedroom keypad that is dark after 60 seconds of activity. This is causing problems for my customers. They want a dark keypad at night but when the alarm goes off they want to be able to read the keypad without a flashlight. I would also like to control the keypad backlight level depending on the time of day. For instance, whenever it is 30 minutes before sunset set keypad backlight level to X, whenever it is 30 minutes before sunrise set keypad backlight level to X. Is any of this possible using rules or some other way?

Sorry, screen went nuts and didn't see the multiple topics. Can a moderator remove the duplicate topics? Thanks.

rfdesq said:
Sorry, screen went nuts and didn't see the multiple topics. Can a moderator remove the duplicate topics?
No problem, got it fixed!

I'm sure that IF there is a way to do this, Spanky (our resident Elk rep/expert) will know how and should respond shortly.

Thanks,

BSR

Why not call Elk?

Talk to Brad he will let you know if there is a way to do it.

I just had an issue with the time not setting, one email was all it took to get a response the same day.

Either Wayne or Steve asked this question at the ELK booth at EHX a few months back and I believe the answer was "no, but interesting suggestion." I haven't tested this, but a temporary work around might be an "Illumination event". Upon entry delay, Illuminate a function key. The user can easily see this key and press it which will activate the back lighting. This assumes you either have an unused function key or have double press still enabled. Might be better than a beeping dark panel.

Thanks. This query has gotten more attention here in 12 hours than the post at the ELK Dealer site has gotten since last November. I'll wait for Spanky to post here before calling ELK.

Last Friday the request came across my desk for the lights to come on the keypad on entry delay.

I looked into it and it is a function of the keypad operation not the M1 control operation. I have put in a request to the keypad programmer to add the functionality.

If you want a question answered quick use Cocoontech!!

When you want something done, go to the top. Now that you're feeling generous Spanky, it might be best to make it a toggle for those who don't want it to come on with entry delay, i.e. in a high security environment where the keypad is semi hidden. Also, how about the other request to control backlight level based on time of day, i.e. bright during the day and dim at night. Thanks.

In the current keypad software, if you turn the backlight level to 4 or below, it will come on when the entry delay starts. This is probably not in the documentation. (A Secret!)

Keypad backlight levels from Rules are a good idea. It has to go on the list though.

Here's the latest post from the ELK Dealer site:

"The next release of firmware will address the keypad light issues as follows:

Upon Start of entry or exit delay keypad backlighting level will go to a level of 6, regardless of whether the light was off or just at a low level. However, realizing that some people may not want this action it will follow the setting of the existing keypad options for Silent on Exit and Silent on Entry. That is; if the keypad is set for "Silent on Exit" its backlighting will not be affected by start of Exit delay. If the keypad is set for "Silent on Entry" its backlighting will not be affected by start of Entry delay.

As for the request to let rules set the backlighting it will be considered for the future."

Spanky, can you find out if the backlight will come on in an alarm condition also?

Thanks.

I just downloaded the new Keypad code (that you do not have) and after the 60 second led's off time, when the alarm is activated the leds come on. :)

Realize, 60 seconds after there is no keypad activity the leds will go out again.

Spanky said:
I just downloaded the new Keypad code (that you do not have) and after the 60 second led's off time, when the alarm is activated the leds come on. :)

Realize, 60 seconds after there is no keypad activity the leds will go out again.
That works for me as long as they go on again with the entry delay. That way if an alarm occurs while the resident is not home and the keypad is initially dark, it will come on with alarm, go to sleep after 60 seconds, and wake up again with the entry delay. If that happens I'm a happy camper and I can wait for the rules adjustment of the backlight.

Spanky said:
In the current keypad software, if you turn the backlight level to 4 or below, it will come on when the entry delay starts. This is probably not in the documentation. (A Secret!)

Keypad backlight levels from Rules are a good idea. It has to go on the list though.
Spanky,

Did the keypad backlight control from rules ever make it onto the official "to-do" list?

I've got an application now for a customer where this would be handy and can't find anywhere that this feature has been implemented yet.

Cheers,
Paul

Back