Administrator
Staff member
Richmond, CA-- April 12, 2004 -- Keyspan, America's #1 brand of USB
connectivity products*, announces it is now shipping its revolutionary USB
Server that connects USB devices to a Mac or PC via a wired or wireless
Ethernet-based LAN.

The Keyspan USB Server has an MSRP of $129 and is available to resellers
from Ingram Micro, Wynit and D&H; and to consumers at CompUSA, CDW, and
other leading computer products resellers.

Much like a USB print server, the USB Server enables attached USB devices
to be used and shared by client PCs on a LAN. In addition to printers, the
USB Server supports other USB devices such as scanners and multi-function
printers.

The USB Server provides 4 ports for connecting to USB devices at Full Speed
USB (12 Mbps). It connects to 10/100 Ethernet networks via an RJ45
connector and supports static IP, DHCP, and Apple's Rendezvous address
assignment. Client PCs must be running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Mac OS
X 10.2.8 or higher.

"The Keyspan USB Server makes it possible to share USB printers and USB
scanners across a LAN in a home office, small office or classroom," stated
Mike Ridenhour, president of Keyspan. "Client PCs can be wired or wireless
- providing a great way to print from a Wi-Fi-based laptop."

Press Release

But it doesn't support audio/video. And doesn't officially support mass storage (but they say the stuff they tested works).

They only officially support printers, scanners, and HID (keyboards and mice). Although, I recall that there are some other devices that identify as HID.

The web site says that they are planning software upgrades to handle more devices. I forget what it's called, but it sounds like maybe they don't handle the "streaming" capabilities of USB (isochronous?) for video and audio yet.

The site also says they are planning a USB 2.0 version for later this year - I assume this means high speed (480Mbps), not just fast (12Mbps, i.e. USB 1.1 relabeled as 2.0). I guess this would need to support mass storage to be useful (you don't need USB 2.0 speed for printers).

The idea behing this looks pretty good, but unless you really need to share printers and scanners, I'd think it's worth waiting to see what comes out later this year. External drives under USB 1.1 are pretty slow.

you would be surprised how many devices are HID compliant, including the USB Powerlinc and some other USB devices. I can see a use for this, but you are right, it needs to support USB 2.0 and video streaming. I already contacted them and they said USB2.0 will probably be Q4 when the chipset becomes cheaper. I am trying to get an eval model right now for a CocoonTech.com review.

Back