Kwikset vs Schlage Zwave Locks

Helheim

Has anyone tried both of these? Which one was better? If I don't have any other Zwave stuff can I just get the lock and one of these Aeon Z-Stick S2 things and that's it or do I need anything else?

Thanks

Has anyone tried both of these? Which one was better? If I don't have any other Zwave stuff can I just get the lock and one of these Aeon Z-Stick S2 things and that's it or do I need anything else?

Thanks

I havent tried both, but I do have the Kwikset deadbolts. I weighted the options of both, and found that I liked the idea of being able to actually lock/unlock remotely vs. relying on someone to be present to lock/unlock.

As far as connectivity, like any wireless device, Zwave does have range limitations and construction materials (wall construction: wood w/ drywall vs brick, tile, or concrete... as well as if you have plastic or metal j-boxes) will change the effective range of said devices. I assume that it's unlikely that you would be able to get away with the setup you describe, unless you have a PC that you plan to use the Aeon stick on in close proximity to the door(s).

It would be in the basement pretty much directly below the door. Hopefully there is enough range.

It would be in the basement pretty much directly below the door. Hopefully there is enough range.

... as in, your expecting Zwave signal to traverse through the floor at a close range? Or is there an open path (walkway) from basement to said door that is close?

I dont think that if the Aeon stick is in some sort of closet in the basement that you are going to get the Zwave signal to the lock above (and if you do it may likely not be very reliable) - but I could be wrong. I think you would need to string along Zwave devices along the walking path from the basement to said door to get reliable signal.

I recently picked up the Zwave dimmers from RadioShack. I installed the first one in our living room. I could walk into our MBR (adjacent room) and using a hand-held Zwave controller/remote, trigger the light to come on... but only from certain areas in the room that were either in line with the door and switch, or close to the door if I were around the corner. I could not trigger the light from some areas of the room and the door has open view directly to the dimmer. Since then, I believe I now have about 7 devices (a mix of dimmers and receptacles) throughout and I can trigger any device from anywhere in my ~1500sq ft home (havent tried from my garage but I never plan to from there anyway).

I honestly got dimmers more as a test for the Zwave network to see what it would take for me to get the signal from my utility/laundry room to each of my doors that have the Kwikset deadbolts. I am likely going to replace all of these dimmers with UPB dimmers (mainly b/c I have a switch for a fan at almost every light switch) and setup more zwave receptacles to form the zwave network to control the locks. The lights were just a much easier/faster test for confirmation that the network was working (than receptacles), and it allows me to start introducing my wife into lighting control (hopefully like a gateway drug into HA). :) ... one can only hope

I havent tried both, but I do have the Kwikset deadbolts. I weighted the options of both, and found that I liked the idea of being able to actually lock/unlock remotely vs. relying on someone to be present to lock/unlock.

As far as connectivity, like any wireless device, Zwave does have range limitations and construction materials (wall construction: wood w/ drywall vs brick, tile, or concrete... as well as if you have plastic or metal j-boxes) will change the effective range of said devices. I assume that it's unlikely that you would be able to get away with the setup you describe, unless you have a PC that you plan to use the Aeon stick on in close proximity to the door(s).

I agree, I don't think they either one is "better" but really how your preference of how the mechanism reacts to you. I chose the Schlage as it DOES require someone there to turn the bolt. One thing I never thought of was if the house shifts, the lock might not line up perfectly. If that is the case, the powered bolt won't engage anyhow. I don't PLAN for this house to shift, but had a house where that was an issue, so it hit home with me. I do see the NEWER (read: might not be out yet) Kwickset locks look like they have a tapered bolt. That looks great as it will engage as much as it can.

Looking at HOW the key goes in, at least in my head, I think it would be MUCH harder to "bump" the Schlage lock, as one would need to get too many things lined up "just" right to key-bump it. When I operate the system with a key (tested it, I've actually not used keys since the day after it was installed), you have to turn the key and push in. It's not like a "quick" bump would allow you to easily do this. After you get the "brass" key hole area to push in, you then have to continue turning the key until the mechanism engages. After that, you then have to turn the bolt slide. It's really not that hard with a real key, and from text sounds harder than it is, as with a real key, the whole thing just turns and engages in a normal fashion, with the added motion of pushing in.

So, I guess, that made me feel better, that it became harder for someone to bump my front bolt.

--Dan

I should mention, my only experience with Z-Wave is my 2 Schlage Locks and two WDT-20 thermostats.

The Schlage locks do NOT like being farther than ~20' from the Z-wave stick. My thermostats, I've got one ~6', and the other floats around the house as I want to monitor temperature in various rooms in my house.

The floater has had NO issues being at the farthest points in my house (~30-40' line of sight to where I have laid it in my son's bed room).

So, keep in mind the distance thing could be an issue. Not ALL Z-Wave modules can repeat the Security protocol that the Locks use. I was lucky in that my house is an L shape at the area where my two door locks are. So, neither one is very far.

--Dan

I agree, I don't think they either one is "better" but really how your preference of how the mechanism reacts to you. I chose the Schlage as it DOES require someone there to turn the bolt. One thing I never thought of was if the house shifts, the lock might not line up perfectly. If that is the case, the powered bolt won't engage anyhow. I don't PLAN for this house to shift, but had a house where that was an issue, so it hit home with me. I do see the NEWER (read: might not be out yet) Kwickset locks look like they have a tapered bolt. That looks great as it will engage as much as it can.

Looking at HOW the key goes in, at least in my head, I think it would be MUCH harder to "bump" the Schlage lock, as one would need to get too many things lined up "just" right to key-bump it. When I operate the system with a key (tested it, I've actually not used keys since the day after it was installed), you have to turn the key and push in. It's not like a "quick" bump would allow you to easily do this. After you get the "brass" key hole area to push in, you then have to continue turning the key until the mechanism engages. After that, you then have to turn the bolt slide. It's really not that hard with a real key, and from text sounds harder than it is, as with a real key, the whole thing just turns and engages in a normal fashion, with the added motion of pushing in.

So, I guess, that made me feel better, that it became harder for someone to bump my front bolt.

--Dan

I wanted to provide some insight... I believe I got the first batch of the Kwikset Zwave locks (pre-ordered through ASI months before they started shipping) and they have the tapered bolts, so I don't know where the idea of them being non-tapered came from.

The issue I had with the idea of the Schlage locks was if I allowed a service worker (e.g. bug man) to come in while I was not home, and remotely unlocking the door.... Yes, I would assume it would be simple enough for him to get into the house, and he would willing turn the deadbolt to open the door so he could complete his work, but I didnt want to rely on a service worker or other to lock the door back when they left... What happens when whomever leaves the house and doesn't lock the deadbolt back when they leave? I wouldn't be able to lock it back remotely. That alone is why I chose the Kwikset locks.

the idea came from the video posted from CES. The video made a big deal about it, so I thought it was new. I stand corrected.

I personally don't allow "service" people into my home if I am not home. So, that is a non-issue for me.

--Dan

the idea came from the video posted from CES. The video made a big deal about it, so I thought it was new. I stand corrected.

I personally don't allow "service" people into my home if I am not home. So, that is a non-issue for me.

--Dan

I don't have any either, but that was really just one instance of a scenario. It certainly holds true for anyone who could enter your home while you are away, such as other family members... I have no idea what the circumstance would be for someone to need access to my home while I am not there, but I like the idea that I can lock the door back if someone was irresponsible and forgot to do it.

I don't have any either, but that was really just one instance of a scenario. It certainly holds true for anyone who could enter your home while you are away, such as other family members... I have no idea what the circumstance would be for someone to need access to my home while I am not there, but I like the idea that I can lock the door back if someone was irresponsible and forgot to do it.
As a locksmith and security installer I think the Schlage Lever lock vs. the deadbolt provides a little better security since it has a spring latchbolt. At least if the door is physically closed it can self lock. The debate over motorized deadbolt vs. non-motorized will continue. All the issues are valid: If the door doesn't line up the bolt may not extend even if it's tapered. Of course the non-motorized deadbolt doesn't even provide that possibility. So without a self locking spring latch bolt your door could be totally unsecure. I've heard many stories where someone armed their security system but later discovered they didn't physically have their door(s) locked!

Back