Large gap security sensors

For the french doors, as said above it's easy enough to protect with two sensors - one for each door, then just connect them in series so that if either one is violated, it'll break the circuit.

For the metal door, what you want to look for is "steel door sensor" - basically they use a bigger hole with some plastic to create a gap between the contact and the metal for better reliability.  Here's just a first-hit on a web search:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-204-947-75-ademco-steel-door-contacts-white.aspx

I'm not positive if those wireless sensors you have are compatible with external contacts but there are plenty of others that are - and switching to that style lets you get the transmitter up above the door trim where you'd never even see it really.  It sounds like a good solution for the problems you're having.

I'll have to pop one open and see if I could somehow hook up external sensors. I hadn't thought about that, but that seems like a good idea. I'll also look at putting the magnet on the trim. Both are good ideas that I will look at doing. This is extremely helpful. Thank you all.

Matt

Well, the french doors were a heck of a lot easier than I thought. All I had to do is move the 2 pieces the little bit closer that I could, and it seems to be working fine with just closing the door normally. Why didn't I try this a long time ago????

Matt

Back