Latest PowerHome Insteon Version

dhoward

The latest beta of PowerHome version 1.03.4.6 is now available here: http://www.power-home.com/download/ph10346setup.exe

This version adds further support for Insteon including full support for KeypadLinc buttons as responders, Insteon Device replacement with automatic link rebuilding, link reverification, and link defragmentation. The latest version of the Device Manager is used (more stable) and further optimizations have been added for link creation and scanning.

Be sure and read the readme.rtf if upgrading from a previous version. If upgrading from 1.03.4.5 and using the Insteon DM controller, you'll need to delete the controller setting and recreate it to get the additional Insteon options in the settings.

If using the Insteon features, the phinsteon.rtf in the PowerHome directory is a MUST READ.

Insteon triggers and Insteon macro commands will be coming soon.

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Dave.

Wow, talk about rapid development! Wonder what is taking Smarthome so long to do this?

Just ordered a USB PowerLinc for the sole purpose of trying out PowerHome!

Will this version of PowerHome let you create exclusive OR buttons on a KeypadLinc as decribed in this section of the KeypadLinc manual?

Grouping Buttons
Buttons can be grouped in an interdependent, exclusive-OR fashion, where pressing one button in a group triggers an ON command for the devices/scene assigned to that button. Grouping is helpful when you have multiple devices or scenes, and you’d like to be able to easily cycle through these devices/scenes with an LED indicator of which device/scene is active.
Programming groups is much more involved than most Insteon device programming. Following are steps for creating a two button group. When creating groups with more than two buttons, we recommended you use the soon to be released Smarthome Manager V2 software program, or contact Smarthome Technical Support for assistance.
NOTE: Programming a two button group from the KeypadLinc keypad requires temporary use of an unused secondary button (in addition to the two buttons being added to the group). Once the group is created, you may reprogram this third button to whichever function or device you desire.
1. For clarity’s sake, the following instructions will refer to the two buttons to be added to a group as button A and button B. The third button that will be used only during the group creation will be referred to as button C.
2. Set the two buttons you’d like to be grouped, buttons A and B, into non-toggle mode, following the instructions in the previous section titled “Toggle Modeâ€.
3. Press and hold the temporary third button, button C, for 10 seconds. Then successively press buttons A and B for 5 seconds each. This links buttons A and B to button C.
4. Press the C button to exit group link.
5. Press the C button again to turn off buttons A and B using the just-created link.
6. Successively press button A, then button B, for 5 seconds each. This links buttons A and B.
7. Again, successively press button A, then button B, for 5 seconds each. This groups buttons A and B.
8. Successively press button B, then button A, for 5 seconds each. This double links buttons A and B.
9. Again, successively press button B, then button A, for 5 seconds each. This double groups buttons A and B.
10. Set buttons A and B back into toggle mode, using the instructions in the previous section titled “Toggle Modeâ€.
11. Button C is no longer needed for group programming- it can now be programmed/configured for other uses.

Mike,

Not yet ;). The link builder does not allow you to link a device to itself. However, a small programming change will enable this. I will quickly fix this and put out a followup release.

Dave.

dhoward said:
This version adds further support for Insteon including full support for KeypadLinc buttons as responders,
How do we create a KPL as a responder? I tried using the regular "Create/Edit function, but there is no way to define the group.

Thanks.

Otherwise, all I can say is WOW! This is some great software and worth twice the price.

Will there ever be any way to delete responder tags in devices for controllers that no longer exist?

Herdfan,

To setup a KeypadLinc button as a responder, in the Create/Edit screen in the left hand pane, scroll all the way to the right and next to the Level and ramprate will be a new column labeled button. This should only become active on a KeyPadLinc and you can enter the button number here.

You should be able to any link in any device you want. From the Groups/Controllers screen, just right click on the link you no longer want and hit delete. Also, check out the new report in the reports section that shows the database links within each device. You can see what record numbers are being used for each link and see if you have any gaps. If you have gaps in the record numbers, then your devices link database is fragmented. If the gaps arent bad, you can just leave it. But if you do a lot of creating/deleting you might have several gaps. In this case, choose the rebuild option from the Group Controllers screen and you can rebuild all the links in any device. This is also useful if you've had to reset a device for some reason.

If Im missing something on your second question, just let me know.

Dave.

dhoward said:
To setup a KeypadLinc button as a responder, in the Create/Edit screen in the left hand pane, scroll all the way to the right and next to the Level and ramprate will be a new column labeled button.
Didn't see the scroll bar. (and I can't find the embarassment smilie)

I do have another question: Why are some buttons on a KPL shown as 1-8, but others are are listed as -1, -2?

Thanks.

Herdfan said:
I do have another question: Why are some buttons on a KPL shown as 1-8, but others are are listed as -1, -2?
I noticed that as well on a few links I had created doing the tap-tap method. I just deleted the links and re-created them via software. My guess is the links were corrupt in the device database.

Wow you are fast! I just saw the post now and will be downloading tonight. Keypads as responders will be very nice. Once you are able to save your network I think this will be one of the #1 selling points. Ever had a keypad go out on you with lots of scenes? :)

Can't wait for the insteon triggers and macros.

The more I use this program with Insteon, the more I am amazed. You smoked SH on this one big time. :)

One suggestion: Make the default print on the reports Landscape. I can't get it to change and when I print a report, I get an extra page with "Location" on it. I can't get the "Setup" button to work from the print mode.

Other issue: I can't get my Icon Relay to be recognized by "Device Status" screen. It just doesn't appear. Not a big deal, but thought you should know. The program recognized it during setup.

Again, a very solid excellent program. Thank you!

42 Insteon Devices Online

Negative buttons on a KeypadLinc represent links that are found in controllers but are not found within the corresponding KeypadLinc as a responder. The negative number is essentially a place holder until a matching link is found in the KeypadLinc. If no matching link, then it will remain negative. Best thing is to delete the link and recreate it using PowerHome. Interesting what you find in your devices after tap-tapping for a while :D.

I'll make changes to the reports so you can choose between landscape and portrait. In the meantime, when a report is up, hit preview from the File menu. In the preview window, hit scale and place try using a value like 75%. It should get you by until I make the changes.

If a device is not appearing in the Device Status screen, check it's Insteon Type in the Insteon Unit screen. Make sure the type is not flagged as "Control Only". It's easy to miss. The "Control Only" option was added to specifically keep devices such as ControLincs or non load switches in 3-way circuits from appearing on the device status screen.

Hey, I really appreciate the comments from everyone :).

Dave.

Thanks.

One thing I have noticed, and you specifically pointed it out in the Insteon documentation, is that neither PH or SH Timer can send a group command. For example Controller A also controls Controllers B & C for status. In the timer software, you need to install A,B, & C to keep your status correct (and with KPL's, you can't) instead of justing installing Controller A and having it send its commands to B & C.

Is this a limitation in the Insteon protocol or is it just that programming has not been able to address it yet.

Just wondering.

If I understand what you're asking correctly (you cant from the PLC or any other controller tell another device (controller) to send a group command), then it's a limitation of the Insteon protocol. Every Insteon message contains a from ID and either a to ID (in direct commands) or a group ID (in group commands). A receiving device then checks the from ID to see if it's in its database and knows whether it should respond or not. In the case of group commands, the unique identifier is the from ID and the group ID.

What's really needed is a "relay" type of command. Where a controller (PLC or other) can send a command to another controller telling it to trigger a specific group command. I would think it would be doable as there is almost enough room for the data in a standard 9 byte command. But they would have to embed the group command within the trigger command. Something like From address, To address, Flags, (trigger on/trigger fast on/trigger off/trigger fast off/trigger dim/trigger brighten), and group id. But that will be up to SmartHome whether they implement something like this or not.

Just one further clarification, PowerHome has no problems sending group commands. It's just that the group commands being triggered are for group that are in the PLC. So if you have a special group called "Nighttime Lighting" that you want triggered from a couple of KeypadLincs and from PowerHome itself, you have to create the same group 3 times. One for each keypadlinc and one for the PLC itself. Hmmm...just thought of a new feature to add to PowerHome...duplicate group :).

Dave.

dhoward said:
If I understand what you're asking correctly (you cant from the PLC or any other controller tell another device (controller) to send a group command), then it's a limitation of the Insteon protocol.
That is what I was asking. It seems like it would benefit SH and other Insteon programmers if this were possible. After all, there is a trigger in the controller that makes it send it commands. That trigger is a paddle press. Why can that paddle press be triggered by a software commands from another location?

While I think I am following the details of this discussion, I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Why would relaying a command be better than duplicating a group?

If A tells B to do something and B then tells C,D and E, then who is responsible for verifying the command was acknowledged? B? If E never responds to B, does B need to report that information back to A?

I think it would be better to keep things simple and just have the "duplicate group" feature.

Back