LCD driver switches

estratos

Hi all,

I've recently ordered a LCD kit from Hobby-Boards and, although it's still on the way, I wanted to know the typical use you give to the three input switches. Are you using them as simple pushbuttons maybe? If it's the case, what are you using those pushbuttons for?

I just try to figure out the typical use of these inputs for our project.

Thanks,

Hi Daniel

I dont currently have a Hobby Boards Lcd but do have an xPL enabled LCD which has 6 Buttons and was thinking maybe something similiar could be done with the Hobby Boards Lcd....

2 of my buttons are used for Menu up and Menu down and the other 4 buttons are the action buttons...so depending on which Menu the LCD is displaying depends on which action occurs ?? Obviously only having 3 buttons means that only 1 action per menu but actions would be only limited by whatever memory your device allows for the Hobby
Boards LCD.......

HTH
Frank

Thanks Frank,

So, you suggest to use the three buttons for browsing among different screens... This could be feasible depending on the refreshing time. I'm really greedy for receiving my LCD...

Hi Daniel

>So, you suggest to use the three buttons for browsing among different screens... This >could be feasible depending on the refreshing time.

Yes it works well with xPL and gives users lots more selections not sure if its suitable for the 1 wire enviroment though ???

Frank

Hi all,

I've recently ordered a LCD kit from Hobby-Boards and, although it's still on the way, I wanted to know the typical use you give to the three input switches. Are you using them as simple pushbuttons maybe? If it's the case, what are you using those pushbuttons for?

I just try to figure out the typical use of these inputs for our project.

Thanks,

I have switches connected, according to the schematic (3.8) it should be PIO.0-PIO.2, but nothing at all happens. I've tried sending "0" to the PIO so they're non-conducting, but that clears the LCD, suggesting to me the schematic might be wrong.

No one seems to have ever done this before...according to Google, this forum, and people on the street. Seems pretty unlikely. But that's ok, if I can catch the right clues, I'll be posting them here.

Would anyone be *sitting* on such a clue, without mentioning it?

I have switches connected, according to the schematic (3.8) it should be PIO.0-PIO.2, but nothing at all happens. I've tried sending "0" to the PIO so they're non-conducting, but that clears the LCD, suggesting to me the schematic might be wrong.

No one seems to have ever done this before...according to Google, this forum, and people on the street. Seems pretty unlikely. But that's ok, if I can catch the right clues, I'll be posting them here.

Would anyone be *sitting* on such a clue, without mentioning it?

I'm not sure what software you are using but what you will need to do is to check the activity latches and then clear the latches once you have checked the switch status. Then when the switch transitions again it will set the activity latch again.

If the software that is writing to the LCD doesn't keep the level of PIO.0-PIO.2 the same then it will set the activity latches as well so the best this to do is to reset the activity latches after a write to the LCD.

Hope this helped.

Eric

I'm not sure what software you are using but what you will need to do is to check the activity latches and then clear the latches once you have checked the switch status. Then when the switch transitions again it will set the activity latch again.

If the software that is writing to the LCD doesn't keep the level of PIO.0-PIO.2 the same then it will set the activity latches as well so the best this to do is to reset the activity latches after a write to the LCD.

Hope this helped.

Eric

Well, I'm using OWFS, don't have the patience (or background) for C-programs and such; I just cut off the switches and presumed them non-existent. If I want trouble-free switches, including a count of switches that matches my application, I'll just get a few discrete PIO's and let'er rip.

But thanks, though!

Back