LCD "Extra" pins

I'm just about to use the three extra lines that are available on the LCD; I have a 4x20.

The plan is to hook up push buttons and read them under program control. The idea is to build a buffer with (doing the math..) 16 lines of data. with the first "screen" of four normally showing. When one of the lines is pressed, the 'display' routine starts printing out the second four lines until the button is released. In this way I could add just 4 'screens', or if I get a binary-encoded rotary, I could have as many as 7.

But before I tear the thing out of the control panel and solder on the wires, I'm curious to see if anyone else has used them like this, in a real-time kind of use. I just worry that I'll have a 3-second delay for the action to take place while the polling is getting done, or if I need to debounce them, or write a whole new routine to use them.

Anyone have experience with using the 1-wire PIO's as keys?

I'm just about to use the three extra lines that are available on the LCD; I have a 4x20.

The plan is to hook up push buttons and read them under program control. The idea is to build a buffer with (doing the math..) 16 lines of data. with the first "screen" of four normally showing. When one of the lines is pressed, the 'display' routine starts printing out the second four lines until the button is released. In this way I could add just 4 'screens', or if I get a binary-encoded rotary, I could have as many as 7.

But before I tear the thing out of the control panel and solder on the wires, I'm curious to see if anyone else has used them like this, in a real-time kind of use. I just worry that I'll have a 3-second delay for the action to take place while the polling is getting done, or if I need to debounce them, or write a whole new routine to use them.

Anyone have experience with using the 1-wire PIO's as keys?

Still no joy...am I the only one to ever use these switches?

Back