Leak Detection & Insurance

Mike

I finally did a check with my insurance company (Amica) on discounts for leak detection systems (I had my eye on the new Elk offering) and figured that would be a lock and be the perfect 'justification' for additional Elk work.

Surprisingly, they offer no discount for any such systems. I wasn't expecting this, but thought others might be interested (I thought I heard there could be up to 30% discounts as it was the most common form of claim).

I finally did a check with my insurance company (Amica) on discounts for leak detection systems (I had my eye on the new Elk offering) and figured that would be a lock and be the perfect 'justification' for additional Elk work.

Surprisingly, they offer no discount for any such systems. I wasn't expecting this, but thought others might be interested (I thought I heard there could be up to 30% discounts as it was the most common form of claim).
AllState of Alabama gives a 25% discount in Huntsville.

AllState of Alabama gives a 25% discount in Huntsville.

I spoke with my insurance company (State Farm) and they said "no discount." I got the sense that they were investigating the option, though. This is relatively new technology, and insurance companies tend to move slowly

I thought I saw somewhere that busted washing machine lines accounted for a large percentage of all home insurance claims but I couldn't locate the actual stat.

i had a dishwasher line bust. State Farm came out in two days and wrote a $3200 check on the spot! I was out of town for a few days when this happened so no sensor would have prevented the damage unless it had an auto water shut off. regardless, my new home has water sensors everywhere. at least i can get a phone call to my cell and it would have allowed me to call a neighbor to shut the water off, so it would have had less damage.

top name insurance companies these days are not slow IMO. they are VERY concerned about the survey they request you fill out, LOL. and thats a good thing.

i did the work myself and pocketed a few bucks, and they dont care. state farm rocks (had similar experience with auto claims, they ARE good, IMO). Course i hear horror stories from katrina victims.

i had a dishwasher line bust. State Farm came out in two days and wrote a $3200 check on the spot! I was out of town for a few days when this happened so no sensor would have prevented the damage unless it had an auto water shut off. regardless, my new home has water sensors everywhere. at least i can get a phone call to my cell and it would have allowed me to call a neighbor to shut the water off, so it would have had less damage.

top name insurance companies these days are not slow IMO. they are VERY concerned about the survey they request you fill out, LOL. and thats a good thing.

i did the work myself and pocketed a few bucks, and they dont care. state farm rocks (had similar experience with auto claims, they ARE good, IMO). Course i hear horror stories from katrina victims.

5 years ago I had damage from a wind storm. I was in the middle of building a shed from teh previous weekend and it blew down (since it was not complete yet) and crushed a dog kennel. I came home and found it that way. Took pictures and called "Metropolitan. I thought I would have a fight on my hands. The told me an adjuster would contact me within 24 hours. A few hours later the adjuster called and settled over the phone for the cost of the shed, the dog kennel, the delivery fee, and the tax. Every penny!

Time from claim to settlement was less than 4 hours and 2 days later I had the check. They did not even want the pictures.

A watercop would have saved you a ton of time and money though.
http://www.watercop.com/

A watercop would have saved you a ton of time and money though.
http://www.watercop.com/

I got one from someone here on Cocoontech (I forget who) and it has saved me a few times (plumbing is over 50 years old and I am slowly replacing it). Plus I use a function button on my ELK Keypad as an emergency shutoff as well.

Back