Let’s talk Z-Wave...

The specific problem I have with the Elk module is related to the size of my network (40 nodes), and the size of my scene and group commands. Apparently (I hope this is correct, it's what I was told, though I am no expert) the Zwave processor they are using does not have enough memory to handle large commands. It truncates them, manifesting as commands that do not complete execution. The ACT switches I have do not help the situation. They take a while to respond, so chaining commands together via elk scripting/rules is not very robust. No word on the timing of a solution, only that the issue is well known a this point.

The only other thing I have noticed is that some switches lock up, requiring that I cycle the power. This happens maybe 1-2 times a month on specific switches that see a lot of use.

I have also tried a logitech 890 remote (equipped with zwave). All I can say is that it is a nice feature to write on the box, I don't think they expected anyone with anything but a couple switches to attempt to use it. It is complete garbage, I don't recommend it to anyone who is used to working, with, what's the word, "determinant" system.

jlegault,

Can you give us any more info on what you're seeing with the Elk unit?

The Z-Wave chips don't have any limitations in regards to sending full-length commands--but it's possible that the Elk has some limitation in its processor as to the number of commands it can remember, etc...

Chris

A group or scene command will not finish executing, resulting in some of the lights not turning on. The scene and groups commands are copied from the primary controller (an ACT remote). The ACT remote executes the group and scene commands without fail. I have not experimented to see exactly how many switches it takes within one scene/group to cause the elk module to fail. There is no easy way to get around this based on the way the elk is programmed. I can request that smaller scenes/group turn on in series, but it requires a workaround like:
1) When <something happens> then
turn on light group A
turn on output A1 for 3 sec <-wait for zwave network to execute first command
2) when output A1 turns off
turn on light group B
turn on output A2 for 3 sec
3) when output A2 turns off
turn on light group C

If I send these commands too close together, things get dropped, but this has more to do with how slow my network responds, which seems to vary day to day. Sometimes 3 seconds is not long enough. If I make the delay any longer, it confuses my wife, prompting her to try multiple times, which causes similar issues to having the commands spaced too close together.

jlegault,

I would give Elk a ring and see if they have a fix for this. It sounds like a bug in the firmware--although it's also possible that they only support a limited number of devices per scene, feature-wise.

Chris

They were pretty hot and heavy to get it fixed a few months ago, but they went 'dark' and have not been in contact with me since July.

Leviton has started shipping their VIZIA RF plug-in modules, and the switches should start hitting shelves in a matter of weeks.

Chris, every time you post you say it will be a matter of weeks. Yeah, I guess that's technically true but very misleading.

I just got off of the phone again with Leviton and they said that it will be January at best.....

Let's keep the conversation to products available - especially when talking about Zwave because of their history of delays. These Vizia switches were originally scheduled to be release in May of 2004!

AutomatedOutlet said:
I just got off of the phone again with Leviton and they said that it will be January at best.....

Let's keep the conversation to products available - especially when talking about Zwave because of their history of delays. These Vizia switches were originally scheduled to be release in May of 2004!
Is Leviton still building stock in order to meet the huge backlog of demand for the product? That was the story at CEDIA anyway.

After watching Cooper, Leviton and Intermatic for the past two years, I keep flashing back to the three way gunfight at the end of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Somebody's gotta draw first...

In fairness to Chris, it would be a good thing if the other members of the Z-Wave alliance tried to emulate his ability to meet release milestones.

George West

Is Leviton still building stock in order to meet the huge backlog of demand for the product? That was the story at CEDIA anyway.
Don't know really but my guess would be legal issues.

In fairness to Chris, it would be a good thing if the other members of the Z-Wave alliance tried to emulate his ability to meet release milestones.
I agree. I've met Chris in person before and he seems like a great guy. I wish more people had his passion. I would just caution against being overly optimistic on delivery times on Zwave products. I haven't checked it, but, I'll bet if we look back on Cocoontech, we'll see many promises about "it's coming within weeks".

I was just walking through my local Lowes store and saw some z-wave devices on the electrical isle. I didn't really pay attention to the brand, but they had a couple of switches and lamp plugs. So I guess they are trying to go main stream now!

Just received my Intermatic HA22 USB Stick yesterday (ordered the last of July). I think Intermatic just kept promising Chris delivery with fingers firmly crossed behind back...

I had e-mailed Intermatic two or three weeks ago to find out what the story was, and they said at the time that the Sticks and Software were due for general release in December, but that the Hardware was ready at the time I contacted them. I hadn't told them I had already ordered the Stick as part of the ThinkEssentials bundle. Does anyone know if Intermatic is working on its own Software or are they planning on just using ThinkEssentials etc? Just curious...

Mike

To Sic0048:

At Lowes the Z-Wave there is Intermatic, and was about the best price was able to find on a "starter kit" for $99.00.

Mike

Mike,

Intermatic has three new software kits, which will be available "soon". If you don't want to wait, you can order pretty much the same thing through our site now.

If you order the Intermatic SKUs (not from our site), be sure to take advantage of the mail-in rebate available with the HA24 and HA102 ($5 - $25 off of HomeSettings products).

HA23C: (around $59)
* HA22 USB stick
* HomeSettings-branded ThinkEssentials software

HA24M: (around $69)
* HA22 USB stick
* Microsoft Visual Studio Express Editions
* ControlThink Z-Wave PC SDK

HA102M: ($149 or so)
* HA07 Master Controller
* HA02 Appliance Module
* HA03 Lamp Module
* HA22 USB stick
* Microsoft Visual Studio Express Editions
* ControlThink Z-Wave PC SDK

Chris

Mike,

Just FYI...the USB sticks started shipping way back in April, but they have been available in very limited quantities (demand exceeded supply). They are now available in large quantities, so hopefully the backlog is "over over." ;)

[Thank you for your business, by the way.]

Chris

Ur welcome Chris. Got the HA22 on Monday seems to be working OK. Have the ThinkEssentials latest beta too..

Thanks for the other info, wondered what they were up-to on the mention of software. As I mentioned in a note I left for you on the ControlThink Forum. As far as the HA22, now I know what "Unobtainium" looks like ;)

Mike

Back