Lighting Automation Technologies: If you got to do it all over again

I just finished installing another 14 UPB switches this weekend, and thought I would give my $.02. I have about 65 UPB switches installed, on multiple phases and sub panels. I plan on installing another 30 in the near future.

I have been using UPB now for a little over a year, and have been VERY happy with them. I have never experienced any issues with them not receiving command signals, nor had an issue with any switch needing replacment. All of my switches are Gen2 UPB manufactured by HAI.

I actually ran Cat5 to every single light switch in the house during construction, thinking that I was going to use a hard wired solution such as ALC for reliability. After messing around with a few ALC switches, and the wiring, crimping, punching down, I decided to try a couple of UPB switches, and never looked back.

I am currently controlling all of my switches through CQC, and have some automation built around them as well. If I had to do it all over again in a new house, I would not wire for lighting...I would just plan on using UPB!

'Best' is different for different people.

Yes, for most people, I would agree, UPB and Z-Wave.

If one lives in a 10K square foot mansion, new construction, I would disagree.

If one does not have neutrals in every box, then UPB is out.

I think the Lutron RA2 dimmers and keypads are designed and constructed very well (high quality, rigorous testing). Does RA2 have it's drawbacks? Sure, but that's what I would vote for, if this wasn't my first install. ;)

I have had no reason to consider any other protocal. We used to use X-10 all the time. We finally started with UPB and tried to have Z-wave as an alternative. We used Z-wave for maybe two months and quickly realized there was no reason to. UPB has done everything we've asked and are still excited for the opportunities it presents us. It flat out works and have never looked back or needed to train our personnel on other protocals.

I use UPB in my own home and its rock solid for the most part. Never had a device die etc and it always just works.

Because of the popularity of Zwave I need to learn about it for work. I am finding that there are compatability issues between products and brands. It is also more work to set up then UPB, however, there are many Zwave type devices that can not be made with UPB technology. If it were not for the compatability issues I would have considered changing to Zwave but I like that everything UPB seems to play well with each other and its simplicity.

To elaborate on the compatability I noted that the 2GIG TSTAT did not work with the VR COP or Controlthink but works with the VERA2. The CA9000 PIR from Intermatic does not work with any controller but Intermatics it seems. Still alot more things to try when I have time.

I'm on the fence between Z-Wave and UPB. If it weren't for the fact that most UPB devices are twice the price of their Z-Wave equivalents, I would commit to UPB in a heartbeat based on the feedback provided on CT. I wish I could see a side-by-side comparison of the response time, etc. of each.
I'm going to have to wait this one out and see if either tech makes any advancements in the next year. Insteon is just starting to become good, but Smarthome just keeps getting worse, so I refuse to deal with them at all anymore. I don't think that I will ever place all of my eggs in one basket again in the future by relying on a technology that really only has devices produced by one company. There are some Insteon peripherals available by other manufacturers, but the bulk of the products are produced by (not-so-)Smarthome.

I'm on the fence between Z-Wave and UPB. If it weren't for the fact that most UPB devices are twice the price of their Z-Wave equivalents, I would commit to UPB in a heartbeat based on the feedback provided on CT. I wish I could see a side-by-side comparison of the response time, etc. of each.
I'm going to have to wait this one out and see if either tech makes any advancements in the next year. Insteon is just starting to become good, but Smarthome just keeps getting worse, so I refuse to deal with them at all anymore. I don't think that I will ever place all of my eggs in one basket again in the future by relying on a technology that really only has devices produced by one company. There are some Insteon peripherals available by other manufacturers, but the bulk of the products are produced by (not-so-)Smarthome.

Depending on the mfg Zwave is more expensive then UPB and vice/versa. In my opinion I think Zwave will be more popular in the end from what I see of so many mfg's jumping on the Zwave bandwagon. I am still happy that I went with UPB after dumping Insteon but Zwave does have its advantages.

you are missing a large amount of lighting automation systems. I have 180 factories in my list that build home automation lighting systems. The internet is good, but I still think the world is bigger than the internet :) its a pity there's not an official magazine review of all these systems.

Would you all still recommend UPB, even in my circumstance where I am redoing all electrical, and have the walls open during remediation?

/forums/index.php?showtopic=19529

How well can UPB work with other automation facets such as AV, Windows blinds, and controlling everything from a device like the iPad?

I think I would also take a serious look at Z-Wave, since there are so many accessories (smoke detectors, i/o devices, locks, thermostats, etc), but you could always mix multiple technologies (as long as your main controller supports it).

Would you all still recommend UPB, even in my circumstance where I am redoing all electrical, and have the walls open during remediation?

/forums/index.php?showtopic=19529

How well can UPB work with other automation facets such as AV, Windows blinds, and controlling everything from a device like the iPad?
There are not a lot of UPB offerings other than lighting control and basic I/O control, e.g. there's not prepackaged UPB solution for motion sensing. I find that UPB (lighting, garage door and door/window monitoring), Ethernet (sprinklers, IR control using Global Caché, cameras), and Elve works great for me. I do all my control using my iPod Touch and iPad.

Just make sure you have a neutral wired into each switch location to use UPB.

you are missing a large amount of lighting automation systems. I have 180 factories in my list that build home automation lighting systems. The internet is good, but I still think the world is bigger than the internet :) its a pity there's not an official magazine review of all these systems.

Please tell us of some others, or all 180 if you're up for the typing

I have Insteon, and love it, but not w/o my Universal Devices ISY controller. Setup and reconfiguring (ie: adding a keypad where there used to just be a switch) would be way too tedious (press and hold this button, then go to every other switch for linking, maybe it's this way for most technologies without a controller?) I just wish I knew about Insteon before I wired my house, I have more electrical gangs than I need now, with one Insteon keypad taking the place of 8 switches.

Back