Lighting Requirements for Title-24 in California

Sacedog

I just got back from the lighting store, where we met with our contractor to discuss lighting options. I found out some good information regarding Title-24, and what requirements are for lighting in new construction in California. I thought I would share it with everyone else, as I found it pretty interesting.

In order to reduce my typing, Flourscent will be abbreviated FL, and Incandescent will be abbreviated IN, for this post.

- Kitchen lighting must be at least 50% FL. This is determined based on maximum wattage that each fixture is rated for. For example: if you have 3 pendant IN lights above an island, and each light is rated to accept a maximum of a 100W bulb, you must have at least 300W of FL lighting. Obviously, this would make your kitchen like a surgery room! Many lighting manufacturers are offering FL pendant lighting now, which is your best bet. Also, the FL lights MUST be FL only. You cannot install an IN light and put a FL bulb in it, in order to satisfy Title-24. In addition, you cannot satisfy Title-24 by installing a lower wattage bulb in your IN lighting...it is calculated based on the maximum that the fixture is rated for.

- Bathroom lighting must be FL, AND include an occupancy sensor so that the light turns off if no one is in the bathroom.

- Exterior lighting must be either all FL, or be IN with a Dawn-to-Dusk sensor AND a motion sensor on each fixture. This can NOT be satisfied with lighting hooked into a HA system that controls this...the sensors must be on each light.

- ALL bedroom lights must be installed with dimmer switches, but can be IN.

- By 2010, ALL lightining for new construction will be required to be FL in California.

So, I guess CA is getting pretty serious about energy conservation, which is good. The bad part is that most of the lighting manufacturers are based on the East coast, and have not begun to offer a lot of options for FL lighting yet. Hopefully, that will change by 2010. :)

I just got back from the lighting store, where we met with our contractor to discuss lighting options. I found out some good information regarding Title-24, and what requirements are for lighting in new construction in California. I thought I would share it with everyone else, as I found it pretty interesting.

In order to reduce my typing, Flourscent will be abbreviated FL, and Incandescent will be abbreviated IN, for this post.

- Kitchen lighting must be at least 50% FL. This is determined based on maximum wattage that each fixture is rated for. For example: if you have 3 pendant IN lights above an island, and each light is rated to accept a maximum of a 100W bulb, you must have at least 300W of FL lighting. Obviously, this would make your kitchen like a surgery room! Many lighting manufacturers are offering FL pendant lighting now, which is your best bet. Also, the FL lights MUST be FL only. You cannot install an IN light and put a FL bulb in it, in order to satisfy Title-24. In addition, you cannot satisfy Title-24 by installing a lower wattage bulb in your IN lighting...it is calculated based on the maximum that the fixture is rated for.

- Bathroom lighting must be FL, AND include an occupancy sensor so that the light turns off if no one is in the bathroom.

- Exterior lighting must be either all FL, or be IN with a Dawn-to-Dusk sensor AND a motion sensor on each fixture. This can NOT be satisfied with lighting hooked into a HA system that controls this...the sensors must be on each light.

- ALL bedroom lights must be installed with dimmer switches, but can be IN.

- By 2010, ALL lightining for new construction will be required to be FL in California.

So, I guess CA is getting pretty serious about energy conservation, which is good. The bad part is that most of the lighting manufacturers are based on the East coast, and have not begun to offer a lot of options for FL lighting yet. Hopefully, that will change by 2010. :)

The California Energy Comission is extremely aggressive in conservation by implementing requirements for lighting, appliances etc. Even alarm systems fall under the appliance requirements that took affect 7/1 of this year if the use an external power supply (such as a direct plug in transformer). If I remember correctly they need to be a min 75% effecient and then by 7/1/08 85% effecient.

Other states are starting to follow CA's lead.

While I agree with the concept and the intent of the laws I think they need to be fine tuned a little.

Wonder if they thought of the Mercury in most FL Lights. Now will need to have FL recycling drop offs.

CA Title 24 requirements are far more reaching than just lighting. Lighting is the most visible by consumers so receives most of the media attention, but Title 24 also regulates roofing & insulation materials, HVAC, water heaters and more.

Sacedog - Sounds like your contractor (and maybe staff from the lighting store) have given you a reasonable rundown of the lighting requirements. One place they've steered you wrong is the fact that you can use regular incadescent fixtures in Baths, Garage, Laundry & Utility rooms as long as they are controlled by motion senors. These motion sensors must be "manual on" meaning the can't turn the lights on by motion, but must turn the lights off automatically within 30mins after last occupancy.

Another thing to mention is that other fixture types such as LED, and HID lighting like Metal Halide can also meet the high efficiency standards... problem is, there aren't many options to choose from yet.

I've found that even though Title 24 has been in effect over 1.5yrs, most contractors and electricians that I'm running into on jobs still don't really understand the requirements. In most cases they fall on the side of caution and are installing flourescent lights in areas where they aren't really required. Most customers don't have any idea what the rules are and are often mislead unless they ask lots of questions or someone steps in to offer advice.

Another thing I see a lot is people installing inexpensive flourescent fixtures to get past inspection and then replacing them with nice incandescent models after they get occupancy. This happens often with outside fixtures where the the requirements are either flourescent or incandescent on a motion sensor with photocell. Inspectors are aware of this, but can't do anything about it...

I can't wait for the lighting manufacturers to start catching up with these requirements!

Cheers,
Paul

EDIT: For anyone interested in the nitty-gritty, here's the link. For Sacedog and other CA residents either building or remodeling it's worth the time to read:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/.../6_Lighting.pdf

Wonder if they thought of the Mercury in most FL Lights. Now will need to have FL recycling drop offs.

In a few years they might ban the FL because of the mecury. I would think that they will wait for a reasonable alternative. LED lighting is not there yet (except for the LED in the togglelincs right BLH :) ). I cant wait until LED lights mature.

Thanks for the additional information Paul! I may have mis-remembered some of our conversation with the builder and lighting dealer, which wouldn't be suprising given my horrible short-term memory. :)

Yes, the builder said that installing temporary fixtures, and replacing them after inspection is something that we can do, but there were plenty of very attractive options to choose from, so we will probably just install them as they are supposed to be.

You are correct that Title 24 involves much more than lighting. Minimum Seer ratings for AC units, insulation requirements, and they even pressure test houses now to make sure that there isn't too much air loss!!!

Thanks for the link to the full documentation. Regretfully, I will probably read the entire thing. :) I do not want to end up on final inspection day, having the inspector telling me that I need to make $10k in changes to meet code. I am very happy with my builder, and they seem to really know their stuff, but there is no substitute for knowledge. Plus, the city that I live in has their own planning and inspections department (the only incorporated sity in Sacramento County that does not use the county planning and inspections department), and they are pretty strict.

...and they even pressure test houses now to make sure that there isn't too much air loss!!!

Of course there are other regulatory agencies telling us that insufficient external air exchange is a serious health risk and that you shouldn't seal things up too tight. You can't win!

I would never select FL-lights except in very special cases.

FL has the disadvantage of the mercury-prolem
FL needs some time to get the nominal light (which takes several minutes)
FL is restricted in the switch-on-cycles (only around 6000 are possible)
FL has a better efficienty as normal bulbs, - but less than new developed LEDs
FL is living not as long as LEDs which are reaching 100ooo operating hours

This means:
1.- to operate FL only for short times -as in bathrooms- is nonsense (gratulations to your CA-politicans).
2.- most advantages have LEDs, and nothing else at this time.

For an exmple, I just saw an offer for a LED:

7 lm bright (!) with warm-white color (3600°K) at a voltage of 3.1 (+/-0.1) Volt @ 60 mA (for around $2.80 a single one)
That are 37 lm/W and this is better than most FL.
And the development/progress of LEDs is far not finished.
Wait a little and we have LEDs with 100 lm/W, much better than any FL can reach

Arghh ... here is an even better ofer: http://www.led1.de/datasheet/K2.pdf

Hi Murphy,

Though I agree with all of your points, and I am also optimistic about the future of LEDs, I need to add a couple of points.
1.- to operate FL only for short times -as in bathrooms- is nonsense (gratulations to your CA-politicans).
Keep in mind that title 24 does not require fluorescent lighting anywhere. Title 24 requires lighting that meets minimum efficiency standards, and the current state of technology dictates that it be fluorescent.
That are 37 lm/W and this is better than most FL.
I may be wrong, as I'm working from memory, but I seem to recall that the typical fluorescent light bulb output 65 ANSI lumens per watt, and that some approach 100 ANSI lumens per watt. I understand that fluorescent lighting is still the leader with regards to efficiency, although other technologies are sure to surpass it at some point.

A typical incandescent bulb outputs only 17 ANSI lumens per watt, with not much room for improvement.

... I seem to recall that the typical fluorescent light bulb output 65 ANSI lumens per watt, and that some approach 100 ANSI lumens per watt. I understand that fluorescent lighting is still the leader with regards to efficiency, although other technologies are sure to surpass it at some point.

A typical incandescent bulb outputs only 17 ANSI lumens per watt, with not much room for improvement.

Hi Rocco,

yes, it is a race, a competition.

I just visited www.zled.com and found:
85 lm (peek 140 lm), 3.2 V @ ca 350 mA = 1.12 W and that are 75 lm /W.
In this case not warm white, but cold white (6500°K), sorry.
But you can buy it.

Without all the natural limits of FL, which can be improved a little too.
Well, IMHO the LEDs & OLEDs will do the race, even now they are overtaking.
However ... we will see.

Until now, semiconductors won the leadership in
amplifying, they displaces tubes,
displays, they displaces CRTs and now:
light

I installed a Centralite system in a model home here in California last year. I met title 24 requirements by wiring motion sensors into the keypads and, with the help of Centralite support, wrote some scenes to meet the title 24 requirements. The system used timers to shut off the incandescent lights in bathrooms after a period of time with no motion.

Back