Long distance wi-fi - UAP questions (split topic)

Work2Play said:
Yeah the Pico is the only device that can be reflashed for UAP - it's from when UniFi first came out and they needed an outdoor solution.  Some crafty members have proven that it can be done with other hardware too, but it's completely unsupported.  Too bad - there are plenty of times when a Nanostation or NSL would be great for me integrated with UniFi.

That's a nice option.  I run a Unifi system in my home, and two Unifi APs provide great coverage inside-and-out.  Having the Pico as an outdoor AP would be a great addition.

Hmmm....

giesen said:
We use the Nanostation M5 at work for a couple customers to do a couple 350m PTP links. Works great. Highly recommend.
I use these devices all the time. They are excellent. The longest reach I setup was in Eastern WA, line of sight at 3 miles and we get 110Mbps uplink. It has been going for over a year without a hiccup. I have only had one issue with these devices and it turned out to be bad cat5 connector. I personally have one about 200 yards feeding 3 1080p IP cameras at 10fps each along with netduino boards monitoring my water system. My only annoyance is that they don't support standard 802.3af without that little inline device... But I am in no means complaining at their price point and reliability.

scriptx said:
I use these devices all the time. They are excellent. The longest reach I setup was in Eastern WA, line of sight at 3 miles and we get 110Mbps uplink. It has been going for over a year without a hiccup. I have only had one issue with these devices and it turned out to be bad cat5 connector. I personally have one about 200 yards feeding 3 1080p IP cameras at 10fps each along with netduino boards monitoring my water system. My only annoyance is that they don't support standard 802.3af without that little inline device... But I am in no means complaining at their price point and reliability.

Yeah... that "passive" PoE is really annoying.

The upside is that you can easily power those devices from a standard 12VDC power supply.

EyeofSauron said:
Yeah... that "passive" PoE is really annoying.

The upside is that you can easily power those devices from a standard 12VDC power supply.

Really!? I have a 12v supply for closet LED lights and stair lights in the vacinity of my switch. I may actually use that and save some PoE ports since that switch was not cheap!

scriptx said:
Really!? I have a 12v supply for closet LED lights and stair lights in the vacinity of my switch. I may actually use that and save some PoE ports since that switch was not cheap!

I found the biggest benefit to be in remote installations where I had a 12VDC power-brick to run the entire remote end (or in a solar install where 12VDC is easily wired-up).

Here is a pic.  The device in the middle is a PoE power convertor that turns 12VDC (coming into the left side) into standards-compliant 802.3af power (which you can't see, but comes out the right side of that brick).  The red Cat5 you see going down out of the frame is powering a Ubituiti M2 bullet.  The bullet takes 12VDC through the brown and blue pairs, and receives data on the green and orange pairs.  Remember that standard 100MB ethernet only uses two of the four pairs in a standard Cat5/6 UTP cable?  That leaves the other two pairs for power... all you have to do is hack a custom cable, and it works great. 

2hs224g.jpg

*********** Edit **************

The Ubiquiti devices take anywhere from 12-24VDC.  If you have a long cable run, you'll have to bump up the voltage at the head-end, lest your 12VDC drop enough over a long run that the device won't power up.  If you get much below 12VDC, the Ubiquiti devices don't like it. 

Ubiquiti also has their toughswitch and edgemax routers that have POE now and support their passive POE as well as the 48V POE which can help in some of these installations. 

EyeofSauron - nice install!  Bullets are very handy; keep in mind they're single chain so max speed of 65mbps; if you ever need more speed, bump up to their mimo products like the NanoStation or NanoBridge which will get you 2x2 MIMO.

That one was only serving a single remote Panasonic IP cam... 65mb/s was more than enough.  :)

I have a couple of their nanobridges providing a remote wireless link in another install.  No complaints about either product.

IMO, Ubiquiti stuff is hard to beat for the coin you spend. 

This question maybe a little off the original topic but does have to do with Long Distance wifi. Looking for advice on selecting equipment to extend my wifi from my condo to the pool which is located about 500-600' away. Just want to be able to connect at the pool I-Pad and Laptop. I will have direct line of sight from my balcony to the pool. I can mount a directiional attenna outside that is pointing directly at the pool to enhance the signal if required. Currently using a SonicPoint WAP in the house connected to a Sonicwall Firewall.

A Nanostation or Locostation would do that easily.  Just mount it, and point it towards the pool.  500-600 feet is nothing

Agreed - I've even done testing with a Bullet and a Hawking Omni and gotten 700' through thick foilage (couldn't see my house) and still got 10mb speeds.  a Pico M2HP outside would also work - just get it outside the walls.  Just note you'll be broadcasting your wifi where probably half the complex can see it - so if you have any concerns about being hacked by neighborhood teenagers that's worth thinking about - maybe just flip on the power when you're heading out there.

Thanks for the recommendations exactly what I was looking for.

Work2Play you hit the nail on the head. My plan is to set this up where it is portable. Hook it up when we head to the pool area and disconnect when not using. That should limit the time the it is available for hacking.

I did that for a while when going to the dog park that's about 800' from my house - it's a walk down a trail and you can't really see the houses, but I had wifi working while there.  Great for answering a wifi voip phone too!

Work2Play said:
I did that for a while when going to the dog park that's about 800' from my house - it's a walk down a trail and you can't really see the houses, but I had wifi working while there.  Great for answering a wifi voip phone too!

Back