Looking for help with Elk-ELKM1KAM single access control module

tckeiter

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the ELKM1KAM door access module? I am having trouble triggering the form C relay on this board. The module is set to address 2 so output 194 should be what is turned on and off. Problem is that relay will not trigger. Any suggestions?

I have setup rules using a proxy reader with same module on address 2. The reader works fine and I am able to trigger the form C relay on output 3 but not 194. I believe the relay is in good working order since it clicks when powering on and off the system. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Post your rule and a schematic of the circuit you are using to test the relay. Obviously the bus connections are correct.

Ok, the rule I am using to test is:

WHENEVER ACCESS Access Module (KP 2) is TRIGGERED
THEN TURN Output 194 ON FOR 5 SECS

and the wiring diagram:

The weird thing is that when I connect it this way the maglock receives power when the Elk is powered on but does not receive power when I turn the control off. You can hear the relay switch when powerinig on and off. Sending either on or off to output 194 has no effect on the lock when using above rule and wiring connections. Any ideas? I appreciate the quick response and of course any help you can provide.

Apparently you can't paste a screen shot to this forum. Anyway, I have a 24 vdc power supply and havinig the + connected to the COM terminal. I have the - connected to one wire of the maglock and the 2nd wire of maglock is connected to the N/O terminal of the access module.

Do you have the REX jumped out? Have you connected a meter to see if the relay changes state at all, not just via a mag status?

I did not haveof the RTE request to exit jumped. I just tried a 2200 ohm resistor from the RTE to the NEG. That had no effect. I also tried jumping the door switch terminal to the NEG but also no effect. tried to connect a volt meter but do not get any reading from the relay terminals. I could be doing something wrong here for sure though. How do you test this relay with a meter? Must the RTE be jumped for the relay to fire?

Can't remember exactly the behaviors on the KAM's and the M1's specifically offhand because I've always had a REX and DSM attached, but with other access control hardware both typically affect how a controller behaves.

DSM's- typically a "smart" controller will not fire a relay on a controller as the door is already viewed as open if no contact is installed or jumped out. Why unlock a door that is already open?

REX- depends on the hardware, but usually on "smart" controllers just shunts the door contact. I remember on the M1 it fires the relay for a REX output action.

In your case, if the REX (which is NC on the M1, opposite of normal controllers) is not installed, the relay will not change states, as the input is telling the relay to remain unlocked. In the case of the DSM, I don't believe it's going to affect the M1 and output, as the KAM shunts the door contact on a valid read, same as a REX event (unlock on REX). In the case of the M1, the important one is the REX, since a fault on that point will cause the controller to unlock the relay for X seconds (jumper setting) and it's a NC item. If it's in a constant fault, nothing is telling the control to relock (or time out).

Default on the KAM is ~15 seconds (memory) so after the REX input times out, the relay should change states. Simple continuity testing to see if the relay fires upon a valid read with an appropriate rule, provided the items that affect the access portion of the control are taken care of.

Thank you DELInstallations! You were spot on about the REX circuit in my test environment. I was able to jump the REX which fixed the Form C relay being stuck in the open position. It is one of those things that makes perfect sense now but I needed a little push to see it. I sincerely appreciate your help!

Back