Looking to pick up Amcrest NVR. Any suggestions?

newalarm

I have a current set up using BI running on an old PC with both Amcrest and older Hikvisions. I have a 3750 10/100 POE switch. I am looking to simplify the system. I would especially like simplicity in monitoring such as being able to view cameras remotely, or with apple devices.

I was thinking of scrapping the system, keeping the cameras, and just buying an NVR to deal with everything. I know BI is superior, but I just don't have the time to deal with it and set it up properly. Setting up cameras is super easy on BI, but then trying to monitor remotely or even from other devices such as iPhones or iPads results in lag time and using PCs to connect to BI limits the capabilities (can't communicate through cameras etc). Also, it would be cheaper in long run to only have one device running instead of a separate PC and switch.

Since we have some Amcrest cameras and have been impressed with the quality of the cameras, Looking to stay with Amcrest. Anyone have some Amcrest NVRs they can recommend?

Amcrest has deals all the time, but personally, I'd sign up for their mailing list now, and wait until Black Friday to pick up one up as they usually do have really good deals then.

Just don't expose the system directly to the internet, and understand the privacy implications if you're going to rely on their cloud infrastructure.

How many cameras?
Milestone offers a free version of their XProtect VMS but limited to 8 cameras.
Way better than Amcrest and has a pretty decent mobile app.
You will need a Server version of Windows to run it though.

we currently have 8 cameras. But wanted to add eventually. We are using BlueIris now. just wanted to get everything into one machine (Switch and CPU)

Why not expose to internet the Amcrest NVRs? If you have descent password, it should be ok no? I was going to set up separate VLAN for security. Currently rebuilding my LAN closet.

Just utilize OpenVPN server on your firewall and access your home LAN / Cameras via a VPN client which you can install on Windows, Android and iOS.

I have noticed most if not all of the new SOHO combo router firewall AP's have the option of enabling OpenVPN server these days.

Once that you have OpenVPN client running then you just set up the NVR client with same said IP as your LAN for use.

Why not expose to internet the Amcrest NVRs? If you have descent password, it should be ok no? I was going to set up separate VLAN for security. Currently rebuilding my LAN closet.
Unfortunately no, it will only keep honest people out. It wouldn't be the first time that a hard-coded set of credentials were found in popular camera/nvr firmware, or a bug in the OS which allows you to bypass authentication all together.

Example: https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-exploit
DHS' ranking of this vulnerability as a 10/10 is even more understandable now that the simplicity of compromising these devices has been proven. This vulnerability is significantly more critical than other recent cyber security announcements in the security industry (e.g.: Dahua Suffers Second Major Vulnerability, ONVIF / gSOAP Vulnerability, Axis Camera Vulnerabilities From Google Researcher Analyzed), due to the ease of exploit, the number of impacted devices, and the fact that many impacted devices (e.g., 'grey market') cannot be upgradeable to patched firmware.

And once you read up on the Mirai botnet, it will start to click.

My advice is always to avoid exposing anything directly, especially if you care about privacy/security.

Back