Low-Voltage near Electrical ???

I can't see why that would be a problem, as far as I know and tried, the only type of cable that has issues by running parallel to electrical wiring is cat5 when used as an ethernet cable (so should be fine if used for low voltage stuff). But I am no expert, and I have tons of cat5 running parallel with my electrical anyways (no other option) without any issues.

That is perfectly fine and within NEC compliance! Also, its a good idea to "cross" your electrical lines at 90 degree angles (to minimize interference).

The general rule of thumb is to keep AC and low voltage separate (i.e. in its own electrical boxes).

To emphasize what BSR said, if you keep the crossings between low voltage and AC wires at 90 degrees you should minimize interference. The rule is to avoid parallel runs of the wires (within a certain distance).

I'm most concerned with CAT5e, as that's what I'll be running to that spot.
I just wanted to make sure that the "keep 18inches away from electrical" warnings referred to parallel runs and not necessarily placement of the wallboxes.

Thanks,
-Gabriel

I think that warning only matters if you use it for networking, as the interference would screw around with the data packets, so you would get slower speeds and more corrupted packets. But when using it for low voltage stuff, I can't imagine it being a big deal at all (again my opinion, and I am not an expert).

electron said:
I think that warning only matters if you use it for networking, as the interference would screw around with the data packets, so you would get slower speeds and more corrupted packets. But when using it for low voltage stuff, I can't imagine it being a big deal at all (again my opinion, and I am not an expert).
:eek: (I'm confused)

I am planning to run CAT5 for networking to that box.
Are you saying this shouldn't be done in this instance or it's ok as long as I stay away from parallel runs?

ignore my posts :eek: I was thinking of alarm sensors and such when you mentioned low voltage, if you are running cat5e, definitely listen to that warning if you can.

The main idea is to keep the LV wires away from the electical wires as much as possible. You can run them side by side for a few feet without problems, but you want to avoid long parellel runs. In the picture you post, you will be fine running on the other side of the stub bay like you show.

To clarify the comment LV and HV in the same box. With a limited exception that does not apply in this case, you CANNOT put LV and HV in the same box. you CAN mount them next to each other. In your case, probably the best thing to do is to add one of these to the existing electrical box. Then when you install the receptacles and the cover plate, all the wires come to one place, instead of electrical and antenna/phone/cable heading in different directions. Makes for a very nice appearance, which translates into good WAF.

Back