Low voltage outdoor motion sensors

neillt

OK guys, maybe you all can help me out.

I am looking to install some outdoor motion sensors that are 12 volt powered just like an indoor PIR security sensor.  Everything I can find online are all 110 volt retrofit kits for adding motion sensing to existing lighting.

I am hoping to get motion detection into the panel so that I can make an intelligent decision on turning the lights on or not.  The existing exterior lights are on RadioRA2 so I can command them on for however many minutes if I need to.

Has anyone come across something like that?

Years ago tested a couple of outdoor PIRs that worked.

1 - Niteguard outdoor PIR from the UK.  The head swivels.  

niteguard.jpg

2 - Rockonet outdoor PIR - Rokonet RK312PRB WatchOUT PIR Outdoor Motion Detector

rockonet.jpg

#2 is a bit large and not inconspicuous.

Settled on using the combo Optex Camera / PIRs for outdoor sensors.

The sensors triggered daylight after hours (UPB switches).  These have three switches.  Housing, night-day and PIR.

Initially utilized text to speech announcements and it got a bit low on the WAF so went to chimes for outdoor motion.

All I ever saw triggering sensors were coyotes, rabbits and teens (once).

WatchOUT PIR #2 is an excellent sensor. It's been installed for very long time - and really like when I receive a visitor warning.

Watchout will trigger on deer or a group of squirrels chasing one another, but not wind/sun/snow or a solo squirrel.

The only challenge is that is has to be mounted perpendicular to entrance way. I mounted mine too close to doorway and had to sacrifice coverage area. Also, you need to clean the lense-cover once a year.

d.dennerline said:
The only challenge is that is has to be mounted perpendicular to entrance way. I mounted mine too close to doorway and had to sacrifice coverage area. Also, you need to clean the lense-cover once a year.
If you can take a bit of time and REALLY understand the sensor you are using like it looks like you have, you will really be rewarded with great performance.

You can think of a PIR sensor as a series of mid-IR sensors picking up signals in the 5 to 14 nm range. (The middle is about 9.5 nm)  The sensors and the plastic lens in front of these sensors look out to where you point them, and they get a baseline measurement of the mid-IR activity.  As d.dennerline has said, these detectors are designed to detect a person (or animal) moving perpendicular to the sensor, NOT toward or away from it. That is VERY IMPORTANT.

Humans and animals maintain a body temperature typically higher than the background temperature, and the PIR sensor detects them when they move across it's field from one sensor point to the next.  Electronics in the sensor attempt to separate moving people from moving trees, but its not perfect.  Although trees are not human and don't generate their own heat, they are heated by the sun during the day, and they retain that heat for hours. (I have a thermal camera, and you'd be amazed how much heat trees retain at night.)

PIR sensors try to be immune to moving trees, but I can tell you, my LX-402 can be triggered by them.  Try no to point it at big trees that can be blown in the wind.

Also, those people in hot areas like Arizona will tell you, as the temp outside gets hotter, and everything gets close to your body temperature, these sensors become less effective. Being 98 degrees in the evening is pretty common here, and PIR sensors are not very sensitive at these times.

So "think like a PIR sensor" and you'll better understand what it is seeing and doing.

Back