Lutron DIY Help

az1324 said:
You are giving bad information.  The GrafikEye can communicate wirelessly and the European version has up to 6 built in zones w/ load control. 
Well, I am giving correct information:

"The main unit can also communicate with lutron wireless devices such as pico remotes, sensors and shades".

blondeh said:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm still trying to stick with Lutron even though it's not the easiest to DIY.  I've enrolled on the free Lutron web based learning courses and will work through that in order to 'certify' myself.

From what's explained above I think I'll need 2 GrafikEye QS 6 zone boxes - 1 per floor basically which should cover for 12 light zones.  I guess I have 10 light zones (?) looking at my plans.

I'll probably go for the less efficient halogen bulbs as it sounds like they produce much better looking light.  Although I don't want to design a system that is stuck with halogen when LED bulbs keep improving.  What's the best way to design the system so that I can use halogen for now and upgrade to LED later if I need to?  My impressions are that certain switches don't work with all bulb types which makes it trickier.

You can get a GrafikEye with Ecosystem that will allow later replacement of the first 3 zones with LED, but the other 3 zones can only control the Ecosystem devices (ballasts and LED drivers made by Lutron).

picta said:
Well, I am giving correct information:

Ok partially correct but I still wouldn't say "it is essentially a hard-wired system".  Overall your information is confusing to anyone who isn't familiar with the product lines and technology.  KISS principle.

az1324 said:
Ok partially correct but I still wouldn't say "it is essentially a hard-wired system".  Overall your information is confusing to anyone who isn't familiar with the product lines and technology.  KISS principle.
IT IS a hard wired system in the sense that it is not a "retrofit" wireless system like RadioRA or z-wave that will work with traditional wiring.  It requires specialized home-run wiring just like any hard-wired system. The GrafikEye is a mini-hub of 6 dimming relays, while the whole house hard-wired system will usually have more relays per hub. Most of the system components are hard-wired, including the wall keypads. Any additional GrafikEyes need to be hard-wired to be a part of the same system. The main components also require hard-wired power supplies. The wireless part of the system is no more than the similar add-ons for Centralite Elegance or Homeworks QS.

To OP: you may want to compare the Lutron to Centralite Elegance, it is available in a 220V version, it may be less expensive and will allow future replacement of regular bulbs to LED without changing the system.

Well technically you could retrofit every wallbox with a GrafikEye but yes you are right it lacks flexibility and efficiency unless designed for.

Back