M1 Wireless Receiver and Input Expander Question

dsabot

I just installed the ELK-M1XRF2G and am trying to enroll some older GE/ITI devices. I am pretty sure they are crystal rather than SAW but can't be 100% since I am not able to find any info on the model numbers. I pushed the TEST button on one of the fire detectors and it went off, and was recognized by the Elk, however it instantly said FIRE TROUBLE and no matter what I did, I was unable to clear the fault from the keypads. I entered my code 2 times, maybe the zone silent, etc. The only way to clear was to turn off Elk and turn it back on. Then after a few mins it would give the fault again. I even replaced the fire detector batteries. I am not sure if it is setup in Elk wrong, or it is indeed a SAW device that happened to enroll but isn't working correctly.

On some smoke detectors the base is tampered. With the base removed, a fire trouble will be sent every hour to the receiver. If the detector enrolled, it may work OK. Make sure the base is installed on the detector.

The SAW based transmitters tend to jump around in frequency from one transmission to the next. They can jump out of the receivers bandpass filters. This is why ELK does not recommend them.

I will have to check on the Option bit setup for smoke detectors.

On some smoke detectors the base is tampered. With the base removed, a fire trouble will be sent every hour to the receiver. If the detector enrolled, it may work OK. Make sure the base is installed on the detector.

The SAW based transmitters tend to jump around in frequency from one transmission to the next. They can jump out of the receivers bandpass filters. This is why ELK does not recommend them.

I will have to check on the Option bit setup for smoke detectors.

If I turn the controller off then on it will reset the sensor, but about 45second to a minute later it shows a FIRE FAULT, no siren, just incessant beeps on the keypad. I thought my devices were all crystal but perhpas they arent. I have the base installed it can't be that, there is also no fault switch.

I tried to enroll a motion detector to the system and it wouldn't recognize it. The motion detector doesn't have a visible model number, but clearly states 319.5 and is a ITI transmitter. The wireless receiver didn't even light up to acknowledge the signal. Is compatibility with SAW that unreliable?

David,
What is the GE Smoke transmitter model number?

Model 60-506
319.5 frequency

I have a GE/ITI 60-506 Smoke on my desk M1 and it works fine. I suggest you unenroll the smoke and reenroll it by pressing the test button for about 30 seconds or until the smoke goes into alarm. You will need to be in M1 keypad enrollment mode using installer menu 14, option 3, zone being enrolled. You can unenroll the smoke using menu 14, option 2, Enable transmitter=NO.

GE Motion detectors are enrolled by violating the tamper switch while in the enrollment mode.

You can also use ELKRP and type in the TX ID number in the wireless setup.

Well after getting so frustrated with this, I decided to give the 548E from GE a try and it worked like a charm. I had to move the receiver to separate location to get full coverage but it recognized my, what I believe to be SAW sensors without a hitch. Anybody want a ELK wireless receiver?

Back