M1G vs M1EZ8

Lagerhead

Still shopping. Netting-out the differences between the M1 Gold and the M1 EZ8 at "typical" (and surprisingly well-aligned) online prices (coincidence?) puts a value of >US$150 on the voice capability of the M1 Gold.

Not a big amount in the scheme of things, but I am really choking on this because I emphatically do not want a talking house, prefer data connections to telephone connections at all costs, and so just don't see the value in the voice capability. But I also try to be smart enough to recognize what I don't know.

So before I go with the EZ8, what are the essential, practical, irreplaceable uses of the Elk M1 Gold voice capability?

Dave

Still shopping. Netting-out the differences between the M1 Gold and the M1 EZ8 at "typical" (and surprisingly well-aligned) online prices (coincidence?) puts a value of >US$150 on the voice capability of the M1 Gold.

Not a big amount in the scheme of things, but I am really choking on this because I emphatically do not want a talking house, prefer data connections to telephone connections at all costs, and so just don't see the value in the voice capability. But I also try to be smart enough to recognize what I don't know.

So before I go with the EZ8, what are the essential, practical, irreplaceable uses of the Elk M1 Gold voice capability?

Dave
No, it's not a coincidence or surprise the most online vendors display the same prices on Elk equipment. They are all supposed to advertise at MSRP to be in line with Elk policy. You will find places like Automated Outlet that will always match another valid price or they frequently have their own specials.

As for voice, if you know you don't want it you can get by with the EZ8 or if money is not a huge concern, I would get the M1 and simply turn voice off. You can at least then take advantage of some of the other benefits of the M1 and you will have the voice there if you ever change your mind. The voice can be used for nothing but alarm conditions or can be used to announce all kinds of status info like chime, temperatures, sensor status (like garage door), when doorbell or telephone ring, etc.

...I emphatically do not want a talking house, prefer data connections to telephone connections at all costs, and so just don't see the value in the voice capability...

Dave

A "talking house" is practically the definition of Home Automation. Without that you just have an overly complicated light timer and/or yet another PC GUI.

What I like most about voice capability are these:

1. Confirm automation commands.
2. Announce door lock status (upon demand).
3. Announce garage door status (upon demand).
4. Use remotely over the telephone.

The one big feature you loose with no voice on the EZ8 is telephone remote control.

I also like the time announcement as my wake up alarm with "The time is 6:30 AM" repeated every 10 minutes, four times Monday through Friday.

Thank you, all, for taking the time to comment. You have helped clarify my thinking.

Until upstatemike and Ranger Digital challenged the definition of Home Automation, I hadn't thought about it too much. I guess for me, HA at its core means the "black box" sensing and control functions that lead to the results we desire -- taking actions in response to time, temperature, daylight, intrusion, motion, etc., whether to provide security, convenience, comfort, etc.

Voice is in the realm of the "human interface" which is a part of HA but, to my thinking, not its essence. As alternatives (or complements) to voice we have the likes of touchscreens, GUIs, keypads, sirens, and my preference, the Blackberry browser.

So as a result I am left to determine two things, whether I want to bet that I won't need voice capability in the future (probably will), and whether Elk has the "right" voice solution for me (don't know yet).

I guess for me, HA at its core means the "black box" sensing and control functions that lead to the results we desire -- taking actions in response to time, temperature, daylight, intrusion, motion, etc., whether to provide security, convenience, comfort, etc.

And FUN... don't forget about that one!

Back