m1gold diy

murymury

i live in Egypt i asked some security companies if they could install elk m1 gold for me but they all refused.
so can this be done by myself assuming i tell the electrician about the wiring needed then after that i install and activate the control panel alone or is it hard?
i have good knowledge with computers networks

Download the installation manual and read through it thoroughly. If you understand everything, you will have no difficulty providing the electrician with your requirements, connecting the panel, and configuring the system. It is not hard!

I agree with that, if you have a good general knowledge of running and connecting low voltage wiring,telephone wiring ( if you want the Elk to call you about events in your home), basic networking skills such as port forwarding the M1EXP it's not that bad, the only part that may be daunting is some of the programming.

I'm more than competent with the hookups, but hate attics; at my last house I called every security company in the book looking for someone who'd do the wiring and let me hook up the Elk. My favorite of all of them was "If I quoted the price of an Elk, they'd die laughing, roll over in their grave, and laugh some more". I finally found someone and all went well. For this house I just did my own.

Point is, good luck finding someone with specific knowledge; but if you're technically inclined and dedicated, it's not rocket science... anyone can do it if they really want to.

thanks guys for the reply

well what makes it worse in my case is that my house doesnt have an attic or crawl spaces or dry walls but its all concrete and masonry. so i m guessing i ll have to run new wire conduits cause i cant run security cables with electric cables cause the interference that can be caused by electricity i am right on this or not?

also in my country we have a problem in categorizing and selling electronic components people usually dont what they are selling and what does it supposed to do so i ll have to figure that out myself and thats hard bec i m not an electric engineer.i m just a dentist with some little skills. for example i go ask for gauge 22 wire they say what are u talking about i try the equivalent in mm still get HUH answer so i have to fiddle around till i find what i need. that what made me try to find a pro company to install it and design security but all they wanted either to supply and install their own brand or said they never installed this brand before and cant install it for me.

i have already read the user manual its fine but can anybody point me to where can i get the installation manual so i can read more.
i have some questions i want to make sure of please.
1- for all sensors, keypads, siren, pir cat5e or cat6 cable is good
2-if i have 3 windows in one floor on one zone if one is open i could never pinpoint it right?
3-if i have 3 partitions each sensor wire still has to be wired back to the control panel not the keypad for that partition ?
4-can the elk m1g be controlled from a sim card not from landline ?

i am having trouble as to figuring out what parts and cables are needed because i dont think i can find the cables easily here, so i have to make sure i dont miss anything out or i ll have to wait for a small $1 cable 6 more mon till my friend revisits again. can someone advice me on what works with what and whats needed to complete the job.

sorry if i seem imposing my self but i m really desperate anyway here i go
its a family house with 3 separate floors and one garage/basement and roof. i am thinking of puting a touch panel in each of the three floors in the living and arming keypad near the main entry doors. each floor has magnetic sensors on all windows and the main entry door and fire sensors in kitchen but some sensors are wireless. also i want to make a lived in look in some lights i was told i need a module to control that what kind?. 2 glass break detectors in basement and pir and smoke also i want to install a moistrure detector in one bathroom ground floor, also do some irrigation control garage door activate lights when occupied only in main stairs,also unlock front gate if needed without leaving . also if certain alarm trips i want to open the door of the dog house. besides i want to be able to put in it a mobile sim card and get it to call my cellphone not from land line but from cell.

as for the lighting automation i was thinking something so simple like plug and play just in 3 lamps just to give the feeling that someone is inside
i am attaching a pic of a typical floor plan the other 2 are identical
all what i came to from reading online is that i need
ELK-M1GSYS4
3 elk-m1xin 16 zone expander
elk-m1xep for ip communications
elk-m1rb do i need only one to controll the garage door and some shades or one for each ?

i am still new about this security stuff so this post is a mess.
thanks for you help :)

murymury,
With your house construction, perhaps you should consider using wireless from the doors and windows to the control. If you run into trouble installing your system, Cocoontech is full of experts to help resolve any installation issues.

Enjoy the challenge.

Here is a webpage with links to the manuals

http://www.smarthome.com/128301/Elk-M1GSYS4S-Gold-Security-System-with-Semi-Flush-Mount-Keypad/p.aspx

I am sure the correct cable is available in Egypt but I wouldn't know how to ask for it. There must be cross reference sheets you can take to a electrical supply store. Of course you can order from the US but shipping would be high as that stuff is heavy. In reality, lots of different wires would work. Small gauge speaker would even work.

You can run alarm wiring side by side with standard wire outside of your connection boxes (j-boxes as they are called here). Do not terminate low voltage wires in the same j-box as high voltage wires because of the risk of contact between them energizing the low voltage wire with high voltage and possibly causing injury or damage. Interference is not an issue for door/window/motion/etc contacts. I would suggest, however, that you NOT run your data cables to your keypads because there is a chance for interference. Those wires can be run for short distances side by side but generally it is not best to run them long distances that way.

thank you both for replying

i was thinking keeping wireless to places where its already furnished which is on 1 floor but the others i think wired would be reliable more.

i am sure the wire is there bec its installed here but how to get and what do they call it here. thats the problem so thats why i have to figure it out myself.
but i was talking about these cables from elk http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/m1-cables-and-harnesses or such kind these are impossible to find unless u know exactly what it is called here and where its sold

so for the door sensors & pir cat5 cable will do fine and can be run in the same conduit along with home ac power right?
but for the keypad i would run them in a separate conduit and also cat5
what about the smoke detectors ?

do all has to go back to the control panel like in the roof or 3rd floor i ll have a keypad or a relay box in that floor can i just connect each floor to its relay then back to the control or each sensor has to go direct to control

i ll download the installation manual and read i have no doubt it will answer many of the questions i have .
again thnx guys

The special cables are all included with the system components as required. For example, the keypad pigtail is included with the keypad.

CAT5 is more than sufficient for everything. All you really need is 22/2 for the contacts and 22/4 for the smokes, motions, and keypads. Running CAT5 to the keypads does have some advantages.

I don't know what you mean by "relay box". All of the sensors and keypads need to run back to the control panel.

Please read the installation manual before asking any more questions and draw a system diagram for your installation. It will help alot with pulling together a parts list and getting assistance from others when you have questions.

You should probably post future questions in the Home Security forum instead of the Marketplace.

Back