M1Gold + Homeseer

Jeff R.

Hello,

I am in the process of building our new house. I am wanting to purchase the ELK M1Gold for security and Homeseer for automation. I am also wanting to go the UPB route. Am I waisting my time and money on the above items or should I just get a security system like the Caddex NX8 and homeseer. Can the Elk and homeseer compliment each other?

Thanks

Jeff

Yes, the M1 and HS play nicely together. The M1 can actually benefit greatly from good companion software. My only comment would be to define your actual needs and see if HS is the best choice since there are several very good software products that can complement the Elk panel.

I have direct experience with HomeSeer (older version 1.7.4x) and interfaced it with both a Caddx NX8e and with an Elk M1 Gold.

If you "just" want a security system the NX8e will do you well, but if you want to do ANYTHING other than that (i.e. home automation tasks) the Elk M1 Gold would be a better match.

It is much easier to program and far more versatile than the Caddx, especially if you plan on interfacing any future automation software.

I'm currently using my M1Gold with Homeseer and UPB, and am very happy with the combination. I've tried other applications which may be more powerful/versatile, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to tinker around with them as much as I used to. For something that just works without having to invest a lot of time into I've found Homeseer to be a good complement to the Elk. I don't have any experience with the Caddx but I've found the Elk to be well supported, easy to interface with, and frequently updated with new software and hardware accessories.

Around here it seems most choose the Elk M1 Gold, and then pick one of the software packages to complement it based on their needs and desires.

You should review what you want to do and evaluate in that context. Many are happy with Homeseer, others with MainLobby, others with CQC (and so on, and so on).

You might want to outline what you want to do with Homeseer as you will then be able to get the feedback of users who have tried that.

I am in the process of building a new house, all the ac wiring is done. I have ran coax, phone and cat5 to every place imaginable plus alarm wire to all the windows (8) and doors (3) so far. I have 1000' of 4 conductor wire to run for glass breaks and motion sensors. All the wiring goes to one end of the master closet that is 7' wide that my wife said I could have for all my wires. After getting the quote from the local alarm company on what it would cost to install (Caddex NX8) everything I wanted, I started reading this forum and others on home automation. What I have to have is a very good monitored security system (MY WIFE!!!) and a very good home automation system for me to play with. All she cares about is the security, she said I could do anything I want for home automation. At first I thought I should go ahead and get the NX8 for security and the Elk for automation. But I could not get past the fact that I was waisting the Elk by not using it for security. So then I thought I could get the Elk for security and Homeseer for automation and to enhance the Elk. After telling my wife some of the things you guys have done with home automation, she has pretty much told me I could get what every I needed to have the best of both worlds. I am all ears on what everyone thinks about these and other systems I have not even heard about. I also will have two HVAC units that I would like to automate. I don't want to skimp now and wish I had gone with something more capable later.

Thanks for your replies and patience, I am a Newbie

Jeff

Jeff R,
You do not need to buy a Caddx NX8 for security and an ELK M1 for automation. You would be wasting a good NX8 and 1/2 of a good M1.

The ELK M1 is a full bore UL Listed Residential and Commercial Security Controller with a stand alone integrated automation control system or can talk to most advanced PC based home automation systems to act as the data gathering and output interface for the PC.

Thanks Spanky, Thats really what I wanted to hear. I really wanted to get the Elk M1 but did not want to skimp on security. I am also running wires everywhere I think I will need or want something in the future. I just assumed I also needed a program such as Homeseer.

Jeff

Jeff,

Depending on what you want to do with automation you may not need anything but the ELK M1. Unless you hear of a price increase for the software you would want you might want to get the M1 installed and then see what else you might want to do. The M1 can do a lot on its own but it is not limitless (no system is). Some people find it more than enough and others want/need additional software to enhance the automation.

I went with the M1 and I am now considering additional software but I am not really sure I need it except for the Home Theater end.

Digger said:
Jeff,

Depending on what you want to do with automation you may not need anything but the ELK M1. Unless you hear of a price increase for the software you would want you might want to get the M1 installed and then see what else you might want to do. The M1 can do a lot on its own but it is not limitless (no system is). Some people find it more than enough and others want/need additional software to enhance the automation.

I went with the M1 and I am now considering additional software but I am not really sure I need it except for the Home Theater end.
EXACTLY what I was gonna say! Buy the M1 which is just a good a security system as anything else, use it to do as much as you can, then take your time to figure out what software you need to complement it. HS is good for hardcore automation, scripting, etc, but CQC or MainLobby would be better if trying to create custom graphical front ends. HAL is good is you want VR, and there are others with their strengths and cost/benefit ratios. So unless you need to do more than lighting, HVAC and relay type stuff out of the box, I would take time to evaluate software options.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and Ideas. I believe You have helped me make up my mind. I will go with the Elk M1 and go from there. I have ran a separate wire to all windows, doors, attic ladder, were the glass detectors will go, and were the motion sensors and smoke alarms will go. Am I assuming correctly that each one of these items is 1 zone. If so I have 22 zones already. What expansion board should I order with the Elk.

Thanks

Jeff

ELK-M1XIN is the only input (zone) expander, unless you include wireless zones. The others are output expanders.

Thanks Spanky, Thats really what I wanted to hear. I really wanted to get the Elk M1 but did not want to skimp on security. I am also running wires everywhere I think I will need or want something in the future.

Yep, I've installed both and I would rather install an Elk any day. It's easier to install, expand and understand. In addition, you get the automation features.

I use an Elk M1 Gold with Homeseer, and love it. But as Digger and others have mentioned, you may not need HomeSeer, at least YET. I would put the Elk in and play with it a bit, and then decide whether or not to go with the additional capabilities you get via software.

Something else to think about: If wiring becomes a problem at some point (i.e., once the drywall is up) the CADDX wireless board that you can add to the Elk does a great job. I use it with several wireless smoke detectors, and it responds just as fast as the wired (redundant) system in testing. I haven't tried the other wireless security devices they make, but understand they working equally well.

Finally, Martin at Automated Outlet is too modest to tell you, but his business is a great place to buy your Elk. I purchased mine from him and the pricing and support on that and many other purchases has been fantastic.

Madcodger said:
Something else to think about: If wiring becomes a problem at some point (i.e., once the drywall is up) the CADDX wireless board that you can add to the Elk does a great job. I use it with several wireless smoke detectors, and it responds just as fast as the wired (redundant) system in testing. I haven't tried the other wireless security devices they make, but understand they working equally well.
I am thinking of getting a caddx wireless board but I am worried about range. I have lots of chimneys and brick walls and such. Can 1 receiver really cover an entire house or are there likely to be dead spots?

Back