m1XEP setup problems

When you said you changed some settings, was one of them to turn off dhcp and use a static address? Things with static addresses won't show up on your router table.

When you said you changed some settings, was one of them to turn off dhcp and use a static address? Things with static addresses won't show up on your router table.

The settings I changed were in the ElkRP software. I deleted some wired zones, changed the name and house address ( I started with the "Elk Typical Wireless") I haven't tried giving the XEP a static address. It stopped showing up anywhere on my network.

Thanks for sticking with me through this guys!

Hmmmm, It should not have asked to reboot the xep unless you changed xep settings, like IP address, email settings, etc.

There is a way to jumper the xep to force it to a static address. Check the manaul. You will then need to use a crossover cat5 wire to connect your computer directly to the xep. Then assign your computer a static address in the same subnet. Alternatively, you can change the subnet on your router.

It might not be a bad idea to use the crossover wire becuase it will take out the variables of your home network and be a direct shot. Again, be sure that your computer is not putting up any firewalls or antivirus stuff.

I don't thinkg there is a way to "factory default" the xep.

UPDATE: I followed the instructions to force the XEP back to DHCP mode and I finally see it in my DHCP client list! I'm connected again! My kepad still says "output 2 trouble"

Is output 2 the siren connection? All I have is a speaker hooked up to "Out 1" on my main board.

Thanks so much for all the great help!

Hmm, my staic address on my XEP shows up on my routers table!

You must have a fancier router than I do. The only table mine has is a dhcp table. I can pull up the log and see if any traffic has come from any other addresses but there is no table.

UPDATE: I followed the instructions to force the XEP back to DHCP mode and I finally see it in my DHCP client list! I'm connected again! My kepad still says "output 2 trouble"

Is output 2 the siren connection? All I have is a speaker hooked up to "Out 1" on my main board.

Yes. It expects that you should have a siren and warns you (so someone can't cut the wire)

So you must have changed it to static. That is why it would ask to reboot. I would set the xep a static address but you need to make sure to take note of what the address is. If you don't give it a static address, the possibility exists that it could get reassigned. This is especially important if you plan on using port forwards to access you system from outside of your LAN.

You'll need to install a resistor across output 2 to get rid of this warning.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the help! My system is half way there! It's so great to know I'm not alone over here!

You'll need to install a resistor across output 2 to get rid of this warning.

Or, let's not get too crazy here, a siren. ;)

Back