Mailbox Monitoring issue

HAL_MAN

I have been monitoring the mailbox for six months with a x10 motion sensor (which was working perfectly). Then two weeks ago for reasons unknown it stopped reporting status.

I have a V572 which is still working perfectly for reporting status all other motion x10 sensors. I have replaced the batteries and replaced the x10 motion sensor. But it seems as long as the sensor is in the mailbox I get no response. If I take it out of the mailbox (1 foot away) and send tests that are recieved fine by the 572. So not sure what is causeing this. But I would like it fixed.

So there in lies my question.

Is there a way to increase (mod) the signal output of an x10 motion sensor.?
Or is there a more powerful x10 motion sensor?
Or is there another mailbox monitoring solution I could attempt?

The maibox is about 60 feet from the front door and 75 feet from my 572.

Thank you kindly in advance,
Shawn

Do you have a metal mailbox? What about a DS10A? They seem to have a better range than the motion sensors (I use one myself to monitor the mailbox, and it works great).

Yes it is a metal mailbox. I was thinking switching to plastic might do the trick. But it did not make sense that it worked for so long and then just stopped.

hmm DS10A I have never seen or used one of these. Can these be monitored by a V572?
For some reason I was under the inpression you needed a W800 or x10 security system for these to function.

Thanks for the response,
Shawn

You are right about the W800RF requirement, totally forgot about that. Switching to a plastic mailbox will definitely help. I believe people have tried bumping up the range of those motion sensors before, without much luck. One other method you might want to consider is hacking a palmpad since they seem to have a greater range as well.

HAL_MAN:

Yes, I would try out the Palm Pad Hack using THIS vibration/tilt sensor to trigger the unit code. Mount the Palm Pad/Sensor on the inside of the door and as long as the door is open the palm pad will send out the signal, thus you will not miss it.

The Palm Pad seems to have a little better range when powered with a nine volt battery also as that How-To suggests.

Note: I have not done this myself yet, but plan on ordering that tilt sensor soon and trying it out with a Palm Pad and DS10A. ;)

Regards,

BSR

E-
I know this sounds like a silly request but could you take a pic of how you mounted the DS10a in your mailbox. I am having a hard time figuring out how to set it up so it won't annoy the mailman or get in the way. Of course, I have an easily annoyed mailman so that could be the problem.

I can take some tonight when I get home. I mounted the magnets like you would with any door/window, and used some velcro stripping to keep the DS10A stuck against the inside of the mailbox. So far no problems, and it has a huge WAF.

Hey, e, how does the battery do in that app? I imagine you have some trouble in the winter cold?

Thank you very much for all your replies...
I will do the palm mod if necessary but already had the wife pickup a plastic mailbox in one last desperate attempt to avoid the soldering iron.

Mahalo,
Shawn

HAL_MAN said:
Thank you very much for all your replies...
I will do the palm mod if necessary but already had the wife pickup a plastic mailbox in one last desperate attempt to avoid the soldering iron.

Mahalo,
Shawn
Hey Shawn:

Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll try to hook you up with something! ;)

BSR

TonyNo said:
Hey, e, how does the battery do in that app? I imagine you have some trouble in the winter cold?
this is my first year, so haven't exposted it to winter weather yet, but if my car motion sensor (and other outside sensors) are any indication, it should be fine for a while, especially since it is usually only triggered twice a day, 6 times a week.

HAL_MAN said:
Is there a way to increase (mod) the signal output of an x10 motion sensor.?
Or is there a more powerful x10 motion sensor?
Or is there another mailbox monitoring solution I could attempt?

The maibox is about 60 feet from the front door and 75 feet from my 572.
[Although the OP already switched to plastic, for thread "completeness", a metal mailbox solution is:]

> > > Hawkeye Use in Metal Mailbox < < <

I have a RR501 approximately 10' away, line-of-sight through a wooden bay window (i.e. no metal). It's been a couple of years, works great except for the winter when the postal carrier is wearing gloves and the motion sensor doesn't see him/her. :lol:

An "extra" feature is the "address+1" tells my ActiveHome (CM11A) whether the mailbox door is shut or not (sometimes they leave it open an inch or so, and if it's raining the mail gets wet. ;) )

Back