MainLobby Resource/Upgrade Discussion

BraveSirRobbin

This thread was created to keep a previous one "on topic".

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry70209

Basically the discussion started when a MainLobby graphic was shown with a lot of bells and whistles on it. I wanted to see a CPU/resource utilization window with that graphic as (in my experience) MainLobby used a great deal of resources based on the number of flash icons that were displayed/implemented in a scene.

This thread was created to keep a previous one "on topic".

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry70209

Basically the discussion started when a MainLobby graphic was shown with a lot of bells and whistles on it. I wanted to see a CPU/resource utilization window with that graphic as (in my experience) MainLobby used a great deal of resources based on the number of flash icons that were displayed/implemented in a scene.

BSR,

I stumbled on this post even though its old. It doesn't look like David ever got back.

But back in the beginning of this year we rolled out some major updates to all our graphic libraries that drastically improved the updating speed (6x faster) and CPU usage. On top of that, we just released another update that improves upon the tinting and alpha settings as you move from one scene to the next.

After migrating to some of the UMPC tablets, we found CPU usage very high which is what prompted us to re-examine the code behind our library items. Using some different coding techniques greatly improved CPU usage. If I recall some system operating at 20-40% cpu usage are now down to 0-2%. Prior to this update, you could hear the fans running on devices like TabletKiosk; however, since earlier this year - that is no longer an issue.

A new MainLobby release was just introduced that further decreases the amount of PC resources and time for a scene to refresh. Almost instant now. Much faster than any of the "high buck" automation embedded controllers I have seen. Those old touchpanels will get dusted off now :lol:

Here are some of the pertinent release notes for details:

Added
• Drastically improved speed performance when changing scenes - faster redrawing (Should improve performance as well on RDP clients). When changing FX layers between scenes, the FX layer would disappear/flash before displaying the newly loaded FX layer
• OverlayFX and BackgroundFX fields can now load MLS files as opposed to just SWF files - doubling the number of layered MLS files possible! In cases where it's an SWF file, the SWF will remain visible during EDIT/DESIGN mode. If an MLS is in that layer, it will disappear during EDIT/DESIGN mode.
• FXLayer fields in Scene Options panel now support dynamic variables (ie: {{mysceneName}})
• Text.Sizable - Even more improved CPU usage and updating speed is now 6x faster
• Text.SingleLine - Improved CPU Usage
• Progress01 -Improved loading appearance to prevent flashing
• Slider01_release - Improved CPU Usage
• Slider01_cont- Improved CPU Usage
• Slider02_cont- Improved CPU Usage
• Text.Sizable - Drastically improved CPU usage and redraw speed of outline
• 0000_0001 - Improved CPU Usage
• Progress01 - Improved CPU Usage
• Text.FadeTextList - Improved CPU Usage
• Text.SingleLine - Improved CPU Usage
• Text.Typewriter - Improved CPU Usage
• 0019_0052 - Improved CPU Usage