Major server issues, bad HostPC review

electron

Administrator
Staff member
As you may have noticed, CocoonTech.com has been having some issues in the last few days, and eventually went completely offline. This has been extremely frustrating, and the reasons behind it are even more frustrating. It has been decided to move the site to a new server hosted by pair.com, which seems to have a decent reputation, and so far it's looking good. The previous host, HostPC.com, has gone out of their way to make life miserable. More logs will be posted soon so you guys can see how they treat their customers.

Between all the problems they have caused since day 1 (accidently deleting the site .. over and over , other misc. billing issues, constant server moves, etc.), and todays outage, it can be said that they don't know what they are doing, and should not be in the hosting business. Similar stories can be heard from other HostPC.com users, but that's not CocoonTech.com's problem anymore.

However, CocoonTech.com would like to thank HostPC.com for pushing us into the right direction and show us how a REAL hosting company works. Thanks HostPC.com!

I would like to add that thanks to our hardworking and knowledgeable administrator, CocoonTech changed hosting sites and was up to near full speed in just a few hours.

Thanks Dan! :(

I would like to add that thanks to our hardworking and knowledgeable administrator, CocoonTech changed hosting sites and was up to near full speed in just a few hours.

Thanks Dan! :(

You know, I think that what a lot of these companies do is advertise a certain level of bandwidth and storage and whatnot. But, if you actually start using it, suddenly you start 'having problems'. They don't know what's wrong. Sorry. Something really wierd must have happened. Blah blah blah. So basically they run off the folks who actually use much of their paid for capacity and keep the ones that don't, since it minimizes the amount of capaciity they have to have, while still allowing them to advertise that they offer a lot more.

I had similar issues. As our hits started cranking up our previous ISP suddenly started having problems with our site and would accidentally not fix the issues I brought up and so forth. We ended up on a dedicated hosting site, and it's been enormously better.

Glad you are back and I hope the new host will be better.
Yes I found last night the site was ont accessable.

Yes, the site was down last night, glad to see it again.

Because this site is a site of "lead users" and therefore is usefull not only for us. But also as a powerfull feedback for factories (as ELK, glad having Spanky!) and also for just visitors for this neccessarely growing market.

If you have or expect troubles with the hoster: have always one in reserve! As a backup of the website.
Sometimes others (as other products, as other services) are better AND cheaper.

AFAIK there are some efforts of the -originaly german- 1&1 Company -

http://1and1.com

to enter the US-market with rather attractive rates for webspace, webtraffic and websupport.

Although they are a fair company, I'm not a customer of them. Why? Because my website and the website of some friends, are hosted by a small, even better hoster (Artplantation.de). This hoster is making webdesign and support primarely, and so the hosting-service is rather cheap. Maybe not for real big traffic as it is may neccessary here. But the reliability is outstanding: during all the (7?) years there was absolutly no breakdown. Only once for changing mailservers. I'm operating (paying) there the websites
www.eaa972.org for pilot-friends in Texas
www.kronn.de for my son
www.viehweger.org for myself and some very small others

Well Dan, I don't know your requirements of space & traffic. But I can say: this 1&1 Company has also a very good reputation here in Germany. Just in case you need alternatives.

Yes, the site was down last night, glad to see it again.

Because this site is a site of "lead users" and therefore is usefull not only for us. But also as a powerfull feedback for factories (as ELK, glad having Spanky!) and also for just visitors for this neccessarely growing market.

If you have or expect troubles with the hoster: have always one in reserve! As a backup of the website.
Sometimes others (as other products, as other services) are better AND cheaper.

AFAIK there are some efforts of the -originaly german- 1&1 Company -

http://1and1.com

to enter the US-market with rather attractive rates for webspace, webtraffic and websupport.

Although they are a fair company, I'm not a customer of them. Why? Because my website and the website of some friends, are hosted by a small, even better hoster (Artplantation.de). This hoster is making webdesign and support primarely, and so the hosting-service is rather cheap. Maybe not for real big traffic as it is may neccessary here. But the reliability is outstanding: during all the (7?) years there was absolutly no breakdown. Only once for changing mailservers. I'm operating (paying) there the websites
www.eaa972.org for pilot-friends in Texas
www.kronn.de for my son
www.viehweger.org for myself and some very small others

Well Dan, I don't know your requirements of space & traffic. But I can say: this 1&1 Company has also a very good reputation here in Germany. Just in case you need alternatives.

This is good information (both Murphy and Dan). Be sure to follow up with more details!

I'm on the staff of another large forum and it's on 1and1 seems to work fine. Rare downtime if ever, at least I don't remember any.

I also have a site that uses HostRocket.com, they have been very good to me for 10+ years. Only once having issues, for 4 hours. This was during the power grid failure on the east coast several years ago. They were having to drive to Ohio to get diesel and they hadn't fully thought out the issues with long term and widespread power loss and dealing with diesel for their generators (pumps no worky without power).

I have also played with godaddy's hosting some, verdict is out and questionable. Seems sluggish for site depending on MySQL, there system however is very dynamic and load balanced.

I have been going through all my trouble tickets, and there just is too many to include. Most of you are familiar with the major outages in the past (remember when the site was deleted several times ... for no reason?), so for now I am going to post the screenshot of last nights events. Only one modification has been made, and that is the removal of a single instance of my personal e-mail address. You will see a white space, that's it. Ignore the spelling/grammar errors, I was also taking care of another emergency at the time, and I suck at multitasking, but hopefully you will understand what I had to deal with.

ticket_421751.jpg

Oh yea, for what it's worth, I am not having any issues with pair.com, hosted on a shared server as well, using the exact same files & data.

WHM and H-Sphere should raise big red flags for you in the future, CPanel is no assurance but it costs more per box the super cheap asses don't want to pay for it.

The sad part is, their previous billing system was a REAL nightmare compared with this WHM system, but you are right. I doubt I will run into this again. I will be getting a dedicated server in the near future, and be in control of everything myself.

WHM and H-Sphere should raise big red flags for you in the future, CPanel is no assurance but it costs more per box the super cheap asses don't want to pay for it.
I have run over 10 sites over many years all on H-Sphere hosts with no issues. I actually like H-Sphere better than CPanel for multi domain hosting. I don't think its a fair statement to warn against using it.

IVB, GoDaddy has email free with their hosting services, or by itself, cheap. Depending on what you need for email, you may be able to find a better deal at a web hosting company.

Back