[Manufacturer] Simply Automated, Incorporated.

Simply Automated is hear to help with any lighting control and home automation application.  Please call or write.  Thank you!

Hey Guys,  Thanks for the kind welcomes and the soft pitch question....  Yes, we resently came out with an inexpensive dedicated virtual 3-way (or more way) switch kit.  We call it the Anywhere 3-Way Switch Kit.  In the retail market most people refer to theseas "Wireless 3-Way". In our case it is a "Traveler Wireless 3-Way" and works much, much better than the wireless 3-way toys because it will reach much, much farther.  Up to 4 individual zones of lighting can be used on the home's electrical service; using the four available communication channels.  So you could have one 3-or more-way kit (each) for a set of flood lights around the property, another for garage lighting, another for pool lighting, and aonther for maybe driveway or out-building lighting....  They are not compatible with other UPB devices, but work just as well. Great for one off applications.  You can see it on our home page  www.simply-automated.com.   

Any chance to get UPB switches that transmit separate links for single and double taps?

I have about 60 SA switches installed, and that is the one capability I really crave.

I do have (had) an issue with my one floating USB SA UPB. 

The main two UPB PIMs are statically serially connected and working well. 

A few years back tried using the USB PIM in a virtual setup and could not get it to work properly.  I did call your tech support and they were great and did say that the UPB USB Pim drivers would probably not work in the manner of the way I had it configured.

Hardware topology was:

UPB SA USB PIM = = > Digi USB Anywhere + Digi Edgeport 16 ports + other USB devices = = > Network = = > software Digi drivers Installed on VM.

All of my 16 serial devices and addition USB devices worked fine.  The Upstart application did not recognize the SA UPB PIM though via the virtual Digi USB Anywhere connection.

Today I mostly utilize the USB UPB PIM as a floater and configuration device and diagnostic device and its been doing well.

BTW are there linux drivers today for the UPB PIM's?

Attachments

• Upstart VM.jpg
    Upstart VM.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 11
Desert_AIP said:
Any chance to get UPB switches that transmit separate links for single and double taps?

I have about 60 SA switches installed, and that is the one capability I really crave.
Great Suggestion!  Yep, we'd like it too!!  The problem is the little PIC we use doesn't have enough umph! We actually have a design to do this, but it is a few projects down the list. Do not give up hope, or hold your breath, we'll do what we can.  Thx for the note.  M 

Welcome Millard!  Glad to hear that it sounds like UPB isn't "dying on the vine" afterall - I wrote the article in my signature about implementing SA UPB - I would love to see some new devices - top of my list is a ceiling fan control.  Otherwise, I've found tremendous flexibility in the product line. 

I'm curious - what's the best way to test if a device is causing noise?  I'm even OK with buying or borrowing some reasonable test equipment for the purpose; I have some EMI filters I get pretty affordably and they're very compact - I'd like a way to verify if they're doing the trick (I could send one to you guys too if that'd help) - and I'd love to be able to test inline between a strip and the outlet to see if there's a lot of noise or signal sucking going on. 

pete_c said:
I do have (had) an issue with my one floating USB SA UPB. 

The main two UPB PIMs are statically serially connected and working well. 

A few years back tried using the USB PIM in a virtual setup and could not get it to work properly.  I did call your tech support and they were great and did say that the UPB USB Pim drivers would probably not work in the manner of the way I had it configured.

Hardware topology was:

UPB SA USB PIM = = > Digi USB Anywhere + Digi Edgeport 16 ports + other USB devices = = > Network = = > software Digi drivers Installed on VM.

All of my 16 serial devices and addition USB devices worked fine.  The Upstart application did not recognize the SA UPB PIM though via the virtual Digi USB Anywhere connection.

Today I mostly utilize the USB UPB PIM as a floater and configuration device and diagnostic device and its been doing well.

BTW are there linux drivers today for the UPB PIM's?
Howdy Pete,

Regarding the USB PIM, we recently (Dec. 2012) corrected an issue with UPStart and the USB PIM connection (it would only connect 1/2 the time).  It was fixed in UPStart V6.0 B13.  I strongly recommend not using any UPStart version earlier than V6.0 B13 as there were some other scary issues that crept in during previous test builds that would corrupt the UPB file and in somecase devices too.

Regaring Linux, we are not aware of any UPB drivers to date, even though we've supported dozens of Linux developers with the UPB Device Description and PIM Comm support tools.

If there is anything else, please call or write.

All the best,

Millard

MillardS said:
Regaring Linux, we are not aware of any UPB drivers to date, even though we've supported dozens of Linux developers with the UPB Device Description and PIM Comm support tools.

If there is anything else, please call or write.
Hi Millard, do you have any links the the Linux related info ? I can add it to my pages. Might help a few folks who are looking for UPB and Linux.

Work2Play said:
Welcome Millard!  Glad to hear that it sounds like UPB isn't "dying on the vine" afterall - I wrote the article in my signature about implementing SA UPB - I would love to see some new devices - top of my list is a ceiling fan control.  Otherwise, I've found tremendous flexibility in the product line. 
Agree on the fan control!

Also some nice scene controllers, like Lutron's RadioRA2 line.  Those multibutton controllers with LED talkback are the biggest selling point of that system.  They look and feel great.

I would like to see a four button faceplate for the US240s that has four horizontal full width buttons and taller. 
Essentially breaking up the decora cutout into 4 equally sized vertically stacked buttons.
The behavior would be identical to the current 4 button oval or rectangular button faceplate, but the buttons would be larger with an area for engraving/labelling.

A half rocker with two lower push buttons of the same design would also be nice.

Add a hole for the LEDs of the scene controller to shine through too.

Plus one for the fan control. 
3 speeds plus off minimum.

Back