Mark Zuckerberg DIY builds his own HA system

deandob

I thought this recent facebook article by Mark Zuckerberg about how he automated his house by himself was worth sharing with this community, especially for those of you who prefer to make & build the software & hardware like I do. Impressive that someone as powerful & busy as the CEO of Facebook can turn some of his spare time / energy into solving the home automation problem by getting his hands dirty.

Not sure about the quote of only spending 100 hours to make all this work, I somewhat doubt he did it alone.... Interesting anyway.

One of the things I've been thinking lately about home automation is how we are seeing a shift from the old command / trigger / control of packages like Homeseer and Charmed Quark into the realm of context aware voice recognition (ala Alexa / Google Home) and as importantly artificial intelligence compute power applied to home automation systems so the HA systems are more intuitive and insightful (eg. facial recognition to personalise the music & room settings as described in Mark's article). This needs the power of the cloud and although I don't believe home automation systems should be solely cloud based (eg. for latency and reliability reasons) I do believe the richness and power of cloud systems can add huge value to home automation systems.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/building-jarvis/10103347273888091/

He probably has a team of hundreds working on home control. Seems like an advert for FB HA, stay tuned.

Of course phone control is superior to Alexa hardware - more data to capture when you are out of the house.

I don't see any 'AI' used in his setup. It's all programmed, except for maybe some of the remote control via voice.

Call me cynical, but I prefer realist.

I have met mor ethan one person who like to say that they built their garage or remodeled their kitchen when what they really did was to take out their wallet and oversee the project by standing over the hired workers and micro managing them.

Mike.

Hey I was going to do that ... :wink:

Okay this made me laugh:

Sajan Sj Wish jarvis could read me a summary of this long note !
Like · Reply · 326 · Yesterday at 12:11pm

Mark Zuckerberg I'll post a fun video summary later today or tomorrow

I'm betting he's using existing Facebook libraries. I would bet that he's probably done a lot of the coding he mentions and getting help from the internal teams. So I wouldn't down play the coding part. Remember he can code and from the sound of it he still does.

I'm definitely interested in this and I am wondering how to proceed. I may start off with one of the big 2 (No Apple for me, so Google or Amazon). I'm not a big fan of Facebook or Twitter but that doesn't mean I don't see it's uses.

(Mr A.I. House posts to Facebook):
Neil is living in the moment! (okay, ripped off Night at the Museum).

Alexa and voice control is just not HA.
Beats keypads and touchpad screen input for coolness, but just another input device for remote control.

It's intelligent remote control, though, just no automation.

Sounds like the article should have been, or was, written back in about 2008.

LarrylLix said:
Alexa and voice control is just not HA.
Beats keypads and touchpad screen input for coolness, but just another input device for remote control.

It's intelligent remote control, though, just no automation.

Sounds like the article should have been, or was, written back in about 2008.
You do have a point, it's not automation but it should be part of the automation (just another interface). Of course if you can use it to interface to the automation then it's possible to have it do the automation.  So:

• if recognizes your face and
  • it's a certain time of day,
  • set the appliances you've learned from me
  • to the correct states.
Of course that's an example and I think I read in Mark's post that he hasn't gotten the AI to learn yet.

Most of engineer or interested in electronics or software knows that the begining of start is led bilinking and then is continue to controll your home.

Great! After giving FB the virtual "keys" to my home, now FB can automate posts when I am not home and when I flush my toilet. Enjoy.

Back