Migration Strategy

upstatemike said:
kwilcox-

I didn't know UPB setup worked like that! I think it is probably good the way it is but why not include the UPSart functionality in an HA program so everything is in one place?
UPStart is programmed for every UPB device made, so every 45 days or so it prompts you to update the software. The UPB OEM companies actually collobarate to keep UPStart up to date btw. This is why UPStart is aware of the specific configuration specifications of all UPB devices. HCA automatically executes UPStart when you go to UPB network configuration mode, then reads in the UPB network database when you exit UPStart. This way, HCA software doesn't have to be constantly updated. At first, I too thought as you did in that the HA software itself should be able to program the UPB network, but now that I've been using UPB for a while I can see the rationale in this strategy.

mike,

i can't remember if you have to restart the slimserver service after enabling xPL support. why don't you try that first. if it doesn't work after that then it'd probably be a good idea to load up xPLHal so you can see if the slimserver shows up as an xPL device. let me know how it goes.

damage,

I loaded xPLHal on my music server and then stopped and sarted SlimServer. That seems to have done the trick! Maybe in addition to enabling xPL support in SlimServer you also have to load an xPL hub on the SlimServer machine?

In any case things are working and it's time to play. Many thanks!!

kwilcox,

I guess can't fault the logic of the UPB folks regarding UPStart. I know HCA has special advantages in this area but it would be cool if other HA programs did an autoexecute of UPStart when you wanted to do UPB config stuff.

Now that damage has turned me on to xPL maybe I can find a way to hang a PIM off the serial port of the PC I have connected to my stargate and use xPL to control UPB switches. (I wish JDS would announce native UPB support but so far they have not.)

If I can find a clean way to do UPB from a stargate then I can do a very slow (and more affordable) migration away from X-10. I might even have to take back my entire de-automation rant!

mike,

glad you got things working. you only need a hub if you're running more than 1 xPL app on the same PC so if you're just running slimserver you won't need a hub. have fun!

Back