Modules on a Radio?

compuguru

I picked up a few $14 radios at Wal-Mart for my whole house audio project. I have an FM transmitter hooked up to HAL, so the audio is broadcasted over a certian frequency (97.5 fm I think I have it set to). I then planned to use some X10 modules I had lying around to turn them on and off when they are not being used.

I hooked up one radio to an old lamp module, and it works fine. However, I have tried 3 other modules (2 Standard Lamp Modules and 1 LampLinc X10 module) and neither of the two radios I tested are working with those. They turn on for a half a second, then turn off.

However, when I tested it with an Insteon Appliance module, it worked just fine. So it looks like I'll have to use appliance modules.

I was looking at getting the new ICON Appliance Modules, but I would need 4 of them, and that would total to about $80. Do you think it is worth it? The main advantages would be speed, reliability, and not having to upgrade. However, I can get 4 X-10 Appliance modules off Ebay for about $35 shipped. One thing I am worried about is the click they make when they turn on. Is it really that loud?

It just seems like a waste, seeing as I have 3 perfectly good lamp modules that won't work with my radio. :D

You can only use a lamp module for incandescent light bulb loads.

Curious since you are striving for equipment cost efficiency, why even turn the radios off?

I have to turn the radios off, because the transmitter I have, Belikin TuneCast II, will turn off after a minute of inactivity, and the radios would just receive static as the signal.

Do you think Insteon for the radios is worth the extra $$$, or should I stick with X10 for these?

If X-10 works for you (i.e. you receive good signal, have a coupler/repeater installed, and have noise blocks on your signal sucks) then I would just go with that.

I don't have any Insteon devices so I can't give you any first hand experience/advice with that product line.

Once I used a signal strength meter and put noise blocks on the signal sucks I found plugged into the power line, my X-10 system became very reliable. Also, a good coupler repeater installed at the breaker box is a must. :D

compuguru said:
I hooked up one radio to an old lamp module, and it works fine. However, I have tried 3 other modules (2 Standard Lamp Modules and 1 LampLinc X10 module) and neither of the two radios I tested are working with those. They turn on for a half a second, then turn off.
The problem is probably because the radios do not pull enough current through them to let the module know they are there. Similar problem with using the appliance modules with a florescent light.

A solution is to use a multiple plug tap and just add a small 7watt night light. That is usually enough to keep the unit on or off. Worth a try.

Back