• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

MollyCam - box to operation - 10 minutes!

MRL

I ordered the Panasonic BB-HCM331A network camera from newegg.com yesterday morning. UPS delevered the camera today at 5:05 PM. MollyCam (Molly is my miniature schnauzer) operational at 5:15 PM. Priceless!
Opened the box. Took out the camera. I did not mount the camera. Just wanted to test it. Ran an Ethernet cable from the camera to my 8-port D-Link DGS-1008D gigabit switch. I have a Linksys BEF-SR11 router. Plugged in the DC power supply. There must be a 50 foot wire from the AC adapter to the camera plug. Inserted the software CD (AMD64 / MSI nForce 4 Ultra motherboard). Clicked on Setup. Setup found the camera. Clicked on Automatic Local Setup. Entered a user name and password. I was now watching Molly via my browser. Very nice image. Plemty of options I need to explore.
Panasonic offers a free home page on viewnetcam.com to view the camera via the Internet. You can also set up the camera using your own web server. I have not explored the documentation on either setup yet.
I also installed the free (single camera use only) Panasonic camera record software. Worked perfectly.
There is considerable documentation on the CD. I will be busy! I will probably try the viewnetcam.com site. I will post a notice if MollyCam goes onto the Internet.

P.S. My Sony CCD infrared fixed outdoor camera and GeoVision DVR card arrive day after tomorrow. I can't wait to compare the images and software options. I suspect it may take me more than 10 minutes to get the camera/DVR card operational.

upstatemike

I don't know if I can wait for you to test the Sony before I order my Panasonic. Your easy setup experience is exactly wht I was hoping for!

royalj7

I think you will like the Geovision software, but you are right, it's going to take a bit more than 10 minutes to get it setup :)

The software has great remote capabilities and some very powerful conditional events...either by time, motion, motion in a specific area (I thought to was pretty cool you can mask off an area, like the road by a gate camera), etc. I have not tried the version 8 software, so if you are using that, let us know how it goes!

--Jamie

MRL

I have not tried the version 8 software, so if you are using that, let us know how it goes!
The GeoVision DVR (GV-650-4) card comes with the new Version 8. I should get the camera and DVR card tomorrow. I will set up both cameras (Panasonic and infrared) outside this weekend under the same conditions to get an image comparison.