Monitoring Sump Pump Backup Battery

Jim Doolittle

I did a quick search and see that a lot of people just monitor water level when adding automation to sump pumps. I am purchasing a battery backup sump pump (Aquanot II... WatchDog is cheaper but the Aquanot gets better reviews) and would like to monitor battery. These units have LEDs that signal low battery. Could I get a signal to my Ocelot/Secu16I from the LED? If so, could I do it in a way that would not void any warranty? Or, do I use a less invasive approach and use a sensor that can detect that the LED is on? I believe people have done the latter for monitoring status of A/V equipment.

Thanks,

I did a quick search and see that a lot of people just monitor water level when adding automation to sump pumps. I am purchasing a battery backup sump pump (Aquanot II... WatchDog is cheaper but the Aquanot gets better reviews) and would like to monitor battery. These units have LEDs that signal low battery. Could I get a signal to my Ocelot/Secu16I from the LED? If so, could I do it in a way that would not void any warranty? Or, do I use a less invasive approach and use a sensor that can detect that the LED is on? I believe people have done the latter for monitoring status of A/V equipment.

Thanks,
It's fairly easy to monitor for the presense of an LED (or lack thereof). Check out the electricity monitoring projects (www.bwired.nl or http://www.btinternet.com/~jon00/ ) Can't you tell low-battery because the voltage drops off? Seems like something you could measure through an analog circuit...

Thanks,
Jim,
Isn't there a one wire battery monitor? You run a one-wire network don't you?

Back