Monster Z-Wave products...

ChrisWalker

I stopped by Monster Cable's booth for a moment tonight, and they're showing off their new Monster home control products. They're Z-Wave, and they have both plug-in modules and relay/dimmer switches. They also have a very cool "super remote" using Z-Wave.

Sirius Satellite radio is also here with a Z-Wave remote, which is 2-way and looks very cool. I'll report more on that later if anyone's interested in knowing more :)

Chris

My question is - as more manufactures enter the game the prices should be coming down. I can imagine Monster's "stuff" was about 3-4 times more expensive but how about the Sirius stuff? Will the Sirius 2-way remote (how did they get around the patent?) work with first and second generation devices?

Chris:

Can you get some picutures of these products. Also, check out Leviton. I would love to see some photos of their products as well.

Thanks

Mike

I think BSR has some pictures, but he is back at CES, so he probably won't post them until later today.

Mike: so sorry, I didn't bring a camera. I couldn't find my SD card on the way out the door, so I left it behind.

Rupp: I'm not aware of any patent that prohibits Sirius from making a 2-way remote. But then again, I'm not a lawyer :) As far as prices go, I see manufacturers coming out with smart switches and smart devices at a range of price points, based on the "fit and finish" and feature set of their devices, just like it's done with non-smart-switches. For instance, the Leviton Acenti line demands a higher value than standard Decora switches; the same will likely happen with smart switches.

The Sirius 2-way remote is, I'm sure, interoperable with all other Z-Wave devices. I haven't seen any issues where any Z-Wave device is not interoperable with 1st-, 2nd, and now the 3rd-gen devices. Are you asking if it will automatically turn "pollable" devices into "live status" devices, though? If so, no--that's a feature choice of the devices themselves, and not a Z-Wave thing. That's another one of the marketing differentiation points I see in products.

BTW, Linksys is here at the Z-Wave booth as well, indicative of things to come (likely related to the Cisco Zensys investment). Every time we visit a smarthome-related show, it seems like yet another one of the industry giants has started producing Z-Wave devices. And many, many more are working on things.

If any of you get out to the show, you need to go check out the Z-Wave pavilion (and Monster in the next booth) and see all the cool devices working, from the various manufacturers. BTW, I noticed that some of the product lines were not even represented at the show--those will be on display at IBS next week instead. That will be a show not to miss too.

Chris

Rupp said:
how did they get around the patent?
Rupp, the Lutron patent is very specific: It only covers light switches that broadcast their status as they switch their load. That is why we saw two-way thermostats right away.

I played with the Sirius remote as well. It passes information about the currently-playing stream to the remote. You can "channel surf" and get real-time "live status" on your remote as to what channel you're listening to, what you're listening to, etc. Imagine sitting on the back porch, listening to the stereo in your living room with your outdoor speakers--and being able to pick up the remote and select some new CD-quality tunes ;)

And it's all Z-Wave, so it can take advantage of the other nodes in your home.

Chris

That sounds like something that would interest me. I wouldnt mind seing an intercom system with built in radio with a z-wave remote.

Unless you guys have a better memory than me, what good is a remote that can control Z-wave devices if you can't remember that device xx is the living room lights, and device xx is the bathroom fan, etc?

ChrisWalker said:
I stopped by Monster Cable's booth for a moment tonight, and they're showing off their new Monster home control products. They're Z-Wave, and they have both plug-in modules and relay/dimmer switches. They also have a very cool "super remote" using Z-Wave.
Hi Chris;

I think there is some misinformation that hopefully we can get cleared up. When I stopped by Monster's booth at CES they specifically told me that their line of RF switches was proprietary to Monster and not ZWave compatible (see my report HERE).

I have Richard Weber on record (audio recording) specifically stating this (I was shocked and listened to it over and over making sure I correctly understood what he was saying).

But, like any new product displayed at a trade show for the first time, information may not be presented correctly by the "marketing" types! :(

Thanks,

BSR

BSR,

That is a misunderstanding, for sure. I have seen their devices, and they interoperate today beautifully with other Z-Wave devices.

Chris

ChrisWalker said:
BSR,

That is a misunderstanding, for sure. I have seen their devices, and they interoperate today beautifully with other Z-Wave devices.

Chris
Yes, that's what happens when you bring marketing type people into a technical conversation! :(

I must say that I was TERRIBLY disappointed with Monster's overall CES presentation. It seems like only one person had half a clue about their product's technical features and abilities!

I even had one person tell me those three dreaded words that will drive me out of a CES booth in milliseconds "No Photography Allowed"!

I did a little blurb on Monster's CES efforts, but I will not do any more! :D

They get CocoonTech's (new) "Worst of CES" award for CES 2006!

MCCAVL300.jpg

Here's a pic.

I posted more detail at here

Chris Greene
Home Of the Future Monster

Back