More camera questions, wireless?

J_Gatton

Hello, I've been browsing here and on the homeseer message boards trying to plan my HA and camera setup.

Here is my situation, when I built my house I had power outlets put where I thought I would want cameras. My thinking back then is that I'll just get those wireless X10 camera and use those. Of course, I'm kicking myself now for not running coax or cat 5 to those locations too.

So, I'm looking for a good wireless setup. I've looked automated outlet and other sites and noticed that the wireless selections was usually poor. I did buy this wireless setup since it was cheap and ran on "off" frequencies. I also use these cameras for areas where quality isn't a concern.

My plan is to run the cameras above and another wireless setup to a DVR card, such as the 8 channel 120 FPS at kitsparts. "Splitting" the signals to a modulator and the DVR card. Similar to some of setups I've read on here.

My questions are:

1) I noticed most of you wired cameras. Are there good quality wireless cameras? Or could I use some wireless device for wired cameras?

2) With wireless, I'm worried about noise. As long as I stay on different frequencies (such as the cameras above), will my radio X10 devices and my 802.11b network be allright?

3) Or should I go with the wireless IP camera route and just hook them into my wireless network? I like the higher end toshiba but they are expensive ($500). To solve the modulation problem, I was thinking of adding video cards to the PC for a multi monitor desktop, open the IP cams (maybe four to a screen) and then run the S-video out for each card to the modulator.

The cameras will be either inside or attached to my house they should be well within reception range. I'm sure I left out numerous details but I would appreciate any feedback if you have time. Sorry for the long post.

Welcome aboard J Gatton,

If you want to record frames based on motion, you can forget about the wireless solution, unless the motion detection is done by the camera itself, which usually means you have to get an IP camera. If you are going with a DVR card, try to make sure it is WDM compatible, so you can use your own software, such as Active Webcam, which usually supports most types of IP cameras, including wireless ones.

I capture images using X10 motion sensors and wireless x10 cameras and it works pretty good. If you want a really good wireless camera have a look at this one. I just bought one recently and have yet to install it but I tested it in total darkness and it works really well.

http://www.smarthome.com/75453.html

I should correct my statement, I meant if you want to record video based on motion in the video feed (so Rupp's method of using motion sensors would work).

Hi J_Gatton,

I use x10 wireless cams and I am happy with what I got for what I paid... like everything nowadays the skies the limit.

IF! you would like to see the xcams in action let me know and I will sort you out a login / password so you can come and play with them for a while.

There are 5 cameras atm, I have a 6th but not hooked up yet. 2 are on ninja mounts but 1 is the UK spec so is not controllable via the webpage, but I have 2 other ninja mounts on the way from the states.

I use the HS webcam plugin to capture 1 minute streams from the cameras when they are triggered using the motion sensors like Rupp.

Good luck

TrOjAn

Thanks for the replies. Maybe the wireless option might not be good option for me. The only stuff I can find runs at 2.4Ghz and I need to keep my 802.11 network stable.

Looks like I'll be looking at some wired solutions, maybe with some wireless IP cams where I can't run wire.

BTW, what cable do you run to your cams? Coax, cat5? I notice most are 12v, how about power?

Thanks in advance.

I run power and video over cat5, but I would recommend to use RG6 whenever possible.

J_Gatton said:
Thanks for the replies. Maybe the wireless option might not be good option for me. The only stuff I can find runs at 2.4Ghz and I need to keep my 802.11 network stable.

Looks like I'll be looking at some wired solutions, maybe with some wireless IP cams where I can't run wire.

BTW, what cable do you run to your cams? Coax, cat5? I notice most are 12v, how about power?

Thanks in advance.
I run 7 2.4 ghz cameras and 5 wireless PC's and have never had a single problem.

Rupp is the total opposite of me ... 1 microwave managed to royally screw up my signal ;)

I think Rupp is not very critical..... I have seen interference everytime I look at his cams... (I have not looked recently)

Logically, I don't think it is possible to have a clean picture with 802.11 nearby.

I have managed to use a 2.4 link for my stream cam, but the receiver is almost 100 feet from the 802.11, and is well shielded from it.

I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to accept. I used to have all wireless cams, and at times they all did seem "OK", but once you go wired, you never look back.

IMHO as always.

Ski,
Your probably right. The interference I get is they are all on the edge of the range in which they transmit. I can only get about 50 feet. I set my wireless computer cards on channel 11 and this all but eliminates the interference.

Back