More LED bulb options

LED's actually produce way less heat than halogen or incandescent. When two bulbs make the same amount of light, and one uses more electricity, that extra electricity is extra heat. The trouble is the fact that the electronics in LED's are sensitive to heat, so an LED in total may produce a fraction of the heat, but even so, it causes damage. Incandescents and Halogens don't have any electronics, just a fillament. The heat fry's the fillament as well, but for the price, we don't care so much.

wuench,

I was also looking for bulbs that could be used in an enclosure. I found these at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=202668646&catEntryId=202668646 for $24. I'm pretty sure the box states that it can go in an enclosure (but you should verify for yourself) I haven't had them very long, so I can't speak to their longevity when enclosed. They are very bright; they do have a 40W version for $18. The downside is the color; it is definitely "cooler" than the Philips. So for open air applications, I spend the extra buck and get the Philips...

Chris

[quote name='bjr72' timestamp='1323986129' post='166893']
Not to mention eye damaging blue light at high intensities.

[/quote]
Ever hear of taking lemons and making lemonade? This is why the Philips LED bulbs have a yellow filter, to change the color of the LEDs and make visible light. Just like a fluorescent lamp takes UV light (bad for you) and changes it to visible light using a phosphor coating on the glass tube. IMHO that's not really an issue unless you are using poorly designed LED bulbs.

[quote name='bjr72' timestamp='1323986129' post='166893']

Lighting strike? Good bye Mr. Expensive LED.

http://www.nichia.co...9L153M-H3-E.pdf
[/quote]

With that mentality in mind, let's get rid of TV's, computers, your coffee maker, and anything else with electronics in them, not to mention any Home Automation components you may have. That is why you joined Cocoontech.com, right? You are a home automation enthusiast, contractor, or DIY'er, aren't you?

Overall your posts have been pretty negaitve, offensive to some, and not really on topic. This site (forum) typically has a different tone than what you have brought to the table so far. Please don't be offended, this is just what I have noticed.

Overall your posts have been pretty negative, offensive to some, and not really on topic. This site (forum) typically has a different tone than what you have brought to the table so far. Please don't be offended, this is just what I have noticed.
bjr72 - I echo these sentiments also . . . . Likewise, no offense intended.

Ever hear of taking lemons and making lemonade? This is why the Philips LED bulbs have a yellow filter, to change the color of the LEDs and make visible light. Just like a fluorescent lamp takes UV light (bad for you) and changes it to visible light using a phosphor coating on the glass tube. IMHO that's not really an issue unless you are using poorly designed LED bulbs.

With that mentality in mind, let's get rid of TV's, computers, your coffee maker, and anything else with electronics in them, not to mention any Home Automation components you may have. That is why you joined Cocoontech.com, right? You are a home automation enthusiast, contractor, or DIY'er, aren't you?

Overall your posts have been pretty negaitve, offensive to some, and not really on topic. This site (forum) typically has a different tone than what you have brought to the table so far. Please don't be offended, this is just what I have noticed.

Just having a rotten few days. Things build up and get to me every once in a while... and this time it was technology that put me over the edge.
Sorry.

I honestly suspect that, about the time they finally figure out these bulbs and make some nice ones that'll retrofit into existing enclosed fixtures, we'll also start seeing LED fixtures themselves get really popular; the kind meant to hardwire in as one unit that have whatever filters and heat distribution they need built in.

Trying to fit into existing enclosures is holding them back. Once they start building LED fixtures that you replace completely rather than changing bulbs in - I think we'll start seeing some really awesome designs. I'd change my ceiling fixtures out today if I found the right LED replacements.

I honestly suspect that, about the time they finally figure out these bulbs and make some nice ones that'll retrofit into existing enclosed fixtures, we'll also start seeing LED fixtures themselves get really popular; the kind meant to hardwire in as one unit that have whatever filters and heat distribution they need built in.

Trying to fit into existing enclosures is holding them back. Once they start building LED fixtures that you replace completely rather than changing bulbs in - I think we'll start seeing some really awesome designs. I'd change my ceiling fixtures out today if I found the right LED replacements.
I actually was at target last night and saw some desk lamps that were purpose built with LED's. Pretty cool...I searched for 15 minutes for an outlet to test one out and when I did they weren't that bad. The light was about 3000k but had a slight greenish hue to it, very slight. They were about $60. Not too bad. To get back to my point about your quote...The purpose built fixtures are happening now. You'll probably see more on the commercial level at first but they are coming.

I suspect you are correct. It will probably move the direction of light fixtures where the "bulbs" are never intended to be replaced. To a large extent, the Cree CR6/LR6/others are already there.

When the "bulb" is not a generic after thought of the fixture but rather a customized to the fixture solution, the vagaries of putting one bulb into random household fixtures with random heat dissipation characteristics will be avoided and reliability should go up.

And the price won't bug people as much either. If they are paying $100 for what was a $60 fixture with the LED bulb included, I think they'll see that as more reasonable than what today is replacing a $1 bulb with a $40 one.

yeah - every couple months I go out and google them; I do see some nice options for recessed fixtures, but haven't seen any yet that'll replace the typically ceiling fixtures in all my bedrooms and closets; those are the ones I want to replace next because they get left on a lot, and I'm still running incandescent for the good dimming and color.

Thinking now of doing one small LED project. I've stayed away from the kitchen due to WAF.

I have a chandelier though which I turn on every night to about 30% via UPB; it has 9 regular socketed clear bulbs in it which face up. It is on a lift and kind of heavy; but this makes it easy to test different types/style LED bulbs with it.

What would you guys recommend?

The bulbs are visible from the landing at the top of the stairs on the second floor. Will take a picture.

I have one of those 9-bulb chandeliers - I replaced them with the cheapo LED's from my post many, many pages back... they're about an inch taller so from upstairs, I do see the bulbs sticking out. Definitely not a perfect solution, but at my power rates, it was a 3 month ROI while I wait for the market to stabilize. They don't really come on at 30% - unless I go to 50, then dim down to 30. Dimming up though they don't come on really until about 40%.

As far as WAF in my house, cost first; functionality second; looks 3rd... so it sold easily. I'm the more picky one about color/dimmability.

I just installed these in the recessed kitchen fixtures:

philipsbr30led-vi.jpg

They're Philips AmbientLED 13W (65W equivalent) BR30 floods designed for recessed fixtures. Fully dimmable. The 3000K temp is perfect for the kitchen as its a bit whiter than an incandescent but still soft. The family loves them! $38 at Home Depot...

Back