More LED bulb options

RAM said:
Anyone know of any LED bulbs (60-100 watt equivalent) that are rated to use in an enclosed outdoor fixture. With the sub-zero temps lately the CFL's I'm using look more like night lght bulbs than 75 watt equivalent bulbs.

I have about 10 of the Cree A19s outside, no problems.  I also have a bunch of Ecosmart Par30s.  At my old house, I had the PAR30s directly exposed to the elements in one of those dual spotlight things.  No problems.

Also just to add to this thread - I have a couple of the Cree 60W Warm Whites in my office - the other day I was doing some testing with my SA dimmer to see just how well they dim - and sure enough, they dim down to 1% - and more importantly, they come back on at 1% - I don't have to ramp up past 1% - they come on just going from 0 to 1%.  Granted - they're a bit brighter than Incandescent even at only 1%...

kwilcox - if you're asking me, no these weren't the TW's - the are the regular Creee Warm White.  I can test on some TW's though easily enough - I have a bunch of those too.

I see the same, but a 1% setting is so much brighter than 1% of the brightness that you still don't get a smooth ramp from off, it visually pops on. The same as other LEDs, it just does it sooner.

Yes - very true.  It has caused us to re-think lighting a little bit in our home, dedicating a couple table lamps for the night-light function vs. just dimming super low.  In the kids' rooms, we use table lamps with lower brighness bulbs just for that purpose.  I also have some rooms like the master bath suite and kitchen where there are a couple circuits - both rooms have a pair of can lights that have fluorescent fixtures - those will soon be converted to LED so I can just dim the middle pair pretty dim and keep the others off.  It's not quite the same as the soft orange glow of having an incandescent down to 10% but it's manageable.  If I really need mood lighting, there's always candles still!

In the pretty near future, I actually want to change the kids' table lamps to be Philips Hue bulbs - that way I can change colors and simulate sunset and sunrise colors very gradually over time - with HomeSeer integration I think this will be really cool for them - just wish they were a little cheaper, and direct wifi rather than needing a bridge.

The LIFX bulbs are at Best Buy now for $89 each. Still pretty expensive.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/edison-screw-wi-fi-multicolor-dimmable-led-light-bulb-75w-equivalent/2578019.p?id=1219074365264&skuId=2578019&st=lifx&cp=1&lp=1

I really like mine and they are very bright, but at this point the only way to control them is a pretty basic app. for iPhone or Android, which is pretty limiting.  I'll need to be able to control them from CQC before I will say they are very useful.  If they can be remotely controlled, that would basically save the cost of having to buy a UPB switch, so the price would be more reasonable. These bulbs are 1000+ lumens, which is much brighter than the ~600 lumen Hue. Also, from the Best Buy web site it says the Hue is only rated for a life of 1500 hours, the LIFX bulb is rated for "up to 40K"

Work2Play said:
Yes - very true.  It has caused us to re-think lighting a little bit in our home, dedicating a couple table lamps for the night-light function vs. just dimming super low.  In the kids' rooms, we use table lamps with lower brighness bulbs just for that purpose.  I also have some rooms like the master bath suite and kitchen where there are a couple circuits - both rooms have a pair of can lights that have fluorescent fixtures - those will soon be converted to LED so I can just dim the middle pair pretty dim and keep the others off.  It's not quite the same as the soft orange glow of having an incandescent down to 10% but it's manageable.  If I really need mood lighting, there's always candles still!

In the pretty near future, I actually want to change the kids' table lamps to be Philips Hue bulbs - that way I can change colors and simulate sunset and sunrise colors very gradually over time - with HomeSeer integration I think this will be really cool for them - just wish they were a little cheaper, and direct wifi rather than needing a bridge.

Best thing I ever did was replace the kid's nightlight with a dark shaded table lamp containing a red CFL (I couldn't find a decent red LED).  They sleep all night now and don't get up.

I'm not a fan of hue. High CRI only occurs at a few temps. The "touch the sunset color on the picture" feature isn't accurate for this reason. Also, they are very directional. BR30 overhead lighting in a home theater is killer, but I wouldn't use the A19s.

Ok, so the Cree TWs arrived today and I put them right into our Stickley table lamp that previously was running philips LEDs. Fantastic! These things look and throw light just like incandescents. I was blown away by how much richer the oak wood tones in the lamp itself as well as the table it was on looked. I immediately ordered 4 more.

I'm never going to by a LED with a CRI < 90 again.

Nice!  I have them in a few places - added 4 more 60W TW's last week - they look great.  The wattage trade-off is a bit of a bummer still, it's a fraction of the 60W incandescents they replaced.  I also found that the hum I was getting can be fixture-specific, and can be eliminated by changing the fixture or going to 60W... either one seems to solve the problem.

FYI, Home Depot dropped the price on the T61's from $49 to $34.  

I just went back and they did a price adjustment for 20 of them for me.

What are my options for Torch lamps without spending too much?  I have a lamp that has circular florescent bulbs but the ballast has gone out - first one bulb and now the other.  This lamb gets left on all the time so LEDs would be nice and I could dim at night.  Thought about trying to rip the ballast out and retrofit a standard socket or two.  The florescent bulb is 30W.

JimS said:
What are my options for Torch lamps without spending too much?  I have a lamp that has circular florescent bulbs but the ballast has gone out - first one bulb and now the other.  This lamb gets left on all the time so LEDs would be nice and I could dim at night.  Thought about trying to rip the ballast out and retrofit a standard socket or two.  The florescent bulb is 30W.

You could do something like this, but would require replacing the ballast:
http://www.amazon.com/Circline-Replacement-Circular-Fluorescent-Equivalent/dp/B003TL1WRC/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Also, if you had torch lamps that took those little halogen tubes, there are LED replacements for those.  
http://www.amazon.com/FACTOP-760-780lm-85-265V-replacement-Halogen/dp/B00CFFAULC/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1391009504&sr=1-2&keywords=halogen+led+replacement+bulb

Usually with the LED Retrofits for Fluorescent, you have to bypass the ballast anyway so that could be a decent option.  Or depending on the fixture, they may have an incandescent equivalent where you could just swap a part or two.

In this house, all 4 bathrooms had the same fan/light combo from Broan which used a 2-pin square fluorescent bulb with a ballast inside the fixture.  They flickered horribly and took a second or two to start, and of course weren't dimmable; so I looked up and found the equivalent fan/light combo in the non fluorescent model and it turned out to be an $8 part that was literally a 20-second install per fixture - no wiring, just plugging in the housing - and now all for are regular Edison Incandescent bases running the Cree 60W TW bulbs and my SA switches were reprogrammed with Dimming enabled - much nicer experience.

Or of course, depending on the fixture, it probably wouldn't be that hard to just swap it out with something more efficient.

Back