More LED bulb options

Good tip about the bath fans but I doubt I could find parts that would drop right in for the torch lamp.

For the torch lamp I may just mount a couple standard sockets and use the Cree LED bulbs.  The switch now turns on one or both of the fluorescent bulbs so I could just wire each circuit to one  of two bases.  It won't be quite as bright but I have been fine with just one bulb for some time.

kwilcox said:
Ok, so the Cree TWs arrived today and I put them right into our Stickley table lamp that previously was running philips LEDs. Fantastic! These things look and throw light just like incandescents. I was blown away by how much richer the oak wood tones in the lamp itself as well as the table it was on looked. I immediately ordered 4 more.

I'm never going to by a LED with a CRI < 90 again
I just installed one of these in a table lamp that runs on a Z-Wave dimmer.  Impressive color.  Dimmed about half way, the color matches my dimmed incandescent track lighting very well.  It looks just about like the 60 watt incandescent it replaced.

The previous limited experimenting I've done with LED has produced some pretty bad color so this is exciting progress.

Now, I'd like to find some Par 20 and Par 30 reflector spots and floods that would perform this well.

***EDIT***

After a day of use, it appears my Leviton Vazia Z-Wave Lamp dimmer doesn't like the bulb. Erratic, or no performance.  Doesn't respond to commands, or does so intermittently.  I suspect noise generated by the bulb.

Removing the Cree LED bulb and reinstalling the incandescent restored the operation of the dimmer to normal.

Looking to use some A19 LEDs in the kitchen pendants. I see a lot of negative reviews on the Cree TWs these days, relating to lamp failure.

Any early lamp failures reported here?

I'll be dimming with Lutron RA2, FWIW.

Neurorad said:
Looking to use some A19 LEDs in the kitchen pendants. I see a lot of negative reviews on the Cree TWs these days, relating to lamp failure.

Any early lamp failures reported here?

I'll be dimming with Lutron RA2, FWIW.

No failures here. I had a half a dozen Cree TW bulbs at my last place for about 2 years. At my current house I have around 20 Cree 4Flow bulbs and a few TW bulbs. With the Lutron RA2 CL dimmers the TW bulbs emit a slight buzzing noise where as the 4Flow bulbs do not. With the Lutron RA neutral wire dimmers neither buzz.

rsw686 said:
No failures here. I had a half a dozen Cree TW bulbs at my last place for about 2 years. At my current house I have around 20 Cree 4Flow bulbs and a few TW bulbs. With the Lutron RA2 CL dimmers the TW bulbs emit a slight buzzing noise where as the 4Flow bulbs do not. With the Lutron RA neutral wire dimmers neither buzz.
Ah, thanks for the RA2 tip. 

I need to buy a Hybrid Dimmer for these 3 pendants.  Based on your rec, and a similar finding using google, I'll be using the standard Hybrid Dimmer, rather than the C-L Hybrid Dimmer (I just discovered this new-ish C-L Hybrid dimmer today, looks like it was released October 2015).

Neurorad said:
Ah, thanks for the RA2 tip. 

I need to buy a Hybrid Dimmer for these 3 pendants.  Based on your rec, and a similar finding using google, I'll be using the standard Hybrid Dimmer, rather than the C-L Hybrid Dimmer (I just discovered this new-ish C-L Hybrid dimmer today, looks like it was released October 2015).

Yeah if you like the bulbs silent the standard hybrid dimmer is the right choice. I bought the CL dimmer and tested a few bulbs to see what worked. Some of my switches don't have neutrals plus I liked saving $30 per switch. I mainly did the CL dimmers with 4Flow bulbs for outside lights. In my kitchen I used the standard hybrid dimmer and dimmers.

Not sure if you are using them, but the Cree 6" retrofit cans work better with the standard dimmer. I have two of these on a CL dimmer and when you first turn the fixture on the lights flash, go off, and then turn back on. The rest on standard dimmers do not exhibit this issue.

Original RA2 Hybrid Keypad ordered.

Ceiling downlights controlled from the same junction box, so I can always swap the Hybrid over to control those, if there is an issue.

Paul at Hank's Electric (incredibly helpful, I might add, for support) said the new C/L Hybrid Dimmer is not shipping yet, but should be out in a couple weeks.

Can anyone recommend high CRI LED A19 bulbs, for pendant lights (fully enclosed, diffusing opaque fixture)?

Neurorad said:
I was looking for higher CRI than 82, but will take a close look. Also, non-dimmable, per the Amazon description. But thanks!
I'm not recommending any particular model of filament bulb, as there are many types. Many are dimmable, and often have CRI's in the low 90's.  I usually get mine directly from China, but they take a few weeks to arrive.  Most important, these bulbs don't look weird in pendent lights, many LED's do.

ano said:
I'm not recommending any particular model of filament bulb, as there are many types. Many are dimmable, and often have CRI's in the low 90's.  I usually get mine directly from China, but they take a few weeks to arrive.  Most important, these bulbs don't look weird in pendent lights, many LED's do.
I will look for filament-type LED bulbs in particular, for my pendants. Thank you.

@Ano,

Are you dimming the filament LED light bulbs you purchased?

I am still wanting to start utilizing the Edison style filament LED light bulbs here; just waiting still.

Much of the lighting here today is clear incandescent bulbs which are getting harder to find.

All of the outside coach lamps use clean bulbs with a crystalline looking glass which looks nice in the glass coach lamps.

Just noticed the neighbor switched all his outdoor lighting to LED.  Very white rather than a warm color.  Wife mentioned it was a bit piercing.

pete_c said:
@Ano,

@Ano,

Are you dimming the filament LED light bulbs you purchased?
Yes, most are dimmable. Type "filament LED bulb" in ebay, you get back close to 8000 bulbs.

This lights have no power supply, so because of that they dim better than most conventional LED bulbs, but note they draw LESS power than a conventional LED bulb, so you need a few together to give the dimmer a good load.

Back